Elitist Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Elitist Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: -

The sound of this guitar is quite good. The stock pick ups are muddy to my ears, but a quick change will fix that. It suits a lot of styles, from punk, rock, pop, jazz, and blues. Although I'd recommend something else for metal players, as the neck isn't much to vouch on for soloing. It can be slightly noisy at times but I usually roll back the volume knob during guitar-less parts of songs. It's a very full sound, which suits a lot of styles well, although I wouldn't mind have something brighter. The guitar is slightly versatile, but will always give off that classic Les Paul tone. I can manage to get a nice jazz tone on the neck pick up though, and a metal tone on the bridge pickup.

When I purchased this guitar, I was heavily into punk music. It's a great match for punk music, but over time I've gotten into more of the heavier nu-metal music. I've found the neck to be a little too slow in my hands for that, so I may end up selling this soon. My overall impressions stay still on the basis that this is a nice guitar for the price. I may be tempted to by another if this one gets either lost or stolen, but I may go for the Jackson or PRS se route. I love the feel of this guitar up to the 17th fret; from there it's a struggle to reach things. I wish it had better fret access, but my hands are smaller than others so it may just be me.

The guitar can withstand gigs and live playing well, but like most guitars I wouldn't throw it from one side of the stage to the other. The hardware may need replacing after a bit of a long period, along with the electronics, but this is a basic thing for me. The strap buttons were solidly put in place, but I didn't want to take any chances and replaced them with Dunlop straploks. The alpine white finish looks fairly good to me, and after many months of continues playing hasn't faded at all.

The guitar, when purchased, wasn't set up at all. It had a heap of back bow on the neck, A lot of fret buzz, and wouldn't hold tune at all. I got it setup by my guitar tech (thanks Mark) and it plays fairly well now. The pick ups were adjusted well, and the action was adjusted perfectly for minimal action and minimal fret buzz. The first few frets needed to be re-glued, but are fine now. The bad setup from the factory was the only problem I had on my guitar so far.

This Epiphone was made in 2007 in China. It has 22 frets and the scale is 24.75". The neck is quite large and bulky, making it hard to solo for some people. It's a set mahogany neck, with a rosewood fret board. The headstock features Grover tuners, which hold tune well, but could do better in my case. The body style is the obvious Les Paul shape with the single cut away. It's a solid mahogany body with alder top, and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. The guitar features gold hardware, which fades after a while. On top of that, the gold pickup covers are very hard to keep clean. It features 2 Alnico pickups, 2 individual volume and tone pots, and a 3-way pickup switch.

KCW1229
    you know the GOld hardward on this elec. is actually 24k gold?? its says all over the epi site
    -GuitarHero-
    Would you recommend this over a G-400 Custom, I have the G-400 and am looking to buy one of these, but in Alpine White