Elitist Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Elitist Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: eBay/one owner

It has classic rock sound with that oh sooooo long sustain. This is achieved by the long neck tenon and aged solid mahogany body. The pups are clear and dark at the same time. I have Strats, Schecters and the Paul is much more low end defined. However. I play thru a Traynor 40YCR all tube amp with an adorning Wine Red cover and oatmeal grill. Check it out at Traynor.com For the money, this amp rocks and is self-biasing too! Boss ME-50 effects and the slight of hand magic we all develop as we progress!

I do not play in a band. Vocalist from the first grade till now. Decided to learn on my own in 1978, college course and then on my own till now. Yes I am almost a half-century old, but I survived the late '70's and the snow laden '80's, so there you go! This is my second "Custom". An original 1980 Black Beauty. God, why did I sell it in 1996. Oh yea!, to buy my wife an anniversary ring. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do! They say the Strat is the rock-n-roll guitar. Try to play AC/DC on a Strat. I have tried, no damn meat or sustain. Strats have their place as do all other hybrids out there. Everyone's Strat, Tom Anderson, Suhr, ESP et. al. look like a Strat! Copy a Gibson and you get your ass sued of! Enough said!!!

9lbs 8 oz's of pure mahogany and maple, throw in a little metal and plastic and if you break into my home I will break your skull with the pickup input end and then continue to play "Hells Bells" for you as you descend into the infernal gates of whatever you want to call it! I do not play Live, I usually just annoy our cats and the close neighbors.

The best action, fit and finish of any guitar I have ever purchased. My G & L Legacy is an ever so close match. No wonder Gibson keeps these Elitist underwraps. Why PAY 3-4, 000.00 for a name, unless you are bound and determinded. To each his/her own! Mine has a beautiful waavy(sp? ) grain and is book-matched expertly! As I said I purchased it from eBay, the seller bought it for his son and the son decided to go in another musical direction. Good for HIM and damn good for me!

2004 Wine Red Elitist Custom. Not too much to add to a Custom description except, it is better quality than about 6-7 Gibsons I looked at in the Guitar Center last week for $2, -2, 500.00 more dollars! If you don't know what a Les Paul Custom, I mean a real one, is made of/from/like etc. then stick to playing with yourself!

KenG
    Reviewed by: Moe., on april 21, 2008 0 of 0 people found this review helpful Price paid: 532
    MOE's review is not for an Elitist LP Custom but for a standard EPI LP Custom! Elitist's are made in Japan, not China and Elitists have Maple Tops on mahogany not Alder. I wish people would learn to tell the two product lines apart as it's frustrating to see comments made based on one model but directed towards the other. The headstocks are totally different & only Elitists have the Elitist logo on the rear of the headstock. It's not rocket science but somehow still eludes people.
    Esric
    KenG
    Esric wrote: it reminds me too much of my dads 64 les paul custom with mother of pearl fretts. Beautiful guitar but the head snapped off after a jam session we had.
    Unlike Strat's which are damn near indestructible, Les Pauls have a weak spot & the angled headstock is it! A good amount of wood is removed from the joint to allow for access to the trussrod nut. It needs more clearance because the tool must fit over the nut, not into it as with Strat's/Tele's. Your dad's LP may have been previously cracked from an earlier accident (sliding off an amp it was resting on perhaps, or maybe it was dropped at one time) and it chose that time to give up the ghost. This is why I always advocate a guitar stand for rest during playing & a case for storage all other times.
    Moe.
    Sorry KenG. I misread the title of the review. I know the two lines apart.
    Gr33n
    They would be about $2000 aus, which is good compared to a gibson les paul custom which is about $4500 - $5000 aus
    4 symbols
    Just swapped my Epip Les Paul Custom HCS for a 2002 Epip Elite (Wine Red) = a bit of cash, what can I say what a step up in quality and sound, close your eyes and you think you are playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard. I know these guitars are now not in production they stopped making them in 2008, but if you like Les Paul and don,t want to pay 2 grand this may be the guitar for you. Epiphone and Japan job well done this will be in my arsenal for a very long time.....
    4 symbols
    Looks like from the comments on this forum who ever as a Elite Les Paul Custom as a great guitar and for a 1/3 of the price of a Gibson. i wonder if it will ever come out why Epiphone stopped making these guitars, before I purchased mine I did check on the cheaper Gibson,s like the Studio but they did not compere to the Elite in workman ship feel and sound enough said....
    gerrygtr62
    I used to have the wine red one [which I gave to my brother]. great playing/sounding guitar that smokes the MIC Epis by far!!