EM-1 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EM-1

I near enough fell in love with it as it is ideal for playing riffs and solo's as the pickups have beasty distortion, and I usually play it through a Fender Frontman amp, not exactly the best amp in the world but it portrays the distortion very nicely, it's nice and metally. But saying that, Wallace is the chord master, as he's more of a rhythm guitarist and it sounds near enough as good when playing clean chords. But the only drawback I found with the clean sound was that the low E string sounded as though it had a slightly bad distortion on it and it didn't sound 100% clean.

If Wallaces one were stolen, I'm sure he would definately buy a new one, it plays very well and sounds very nice, especially for solos/metal songs. The only thing that I would like installed on it would be 2 tone and 2 volume pots as it only has 1 tone and 1 volume. Overall it's got the sound and looks of a hard metal guitar, but is fairly versitile and can play lighter and softer songs as well.

I'm pretty sure this guitar would withstand live playing although Wallace hasn't played it Live. The strap buttons are solid, so the guitar doesn't faff around everywhere when your trying to play. I'm sure this guitar can easily be played Live as a solo instrument, due to the warm crisp sound of the distortion.

I haven't really looked that closely at the body and the finish, but I can tell you that the action was low, there was no fret buzz to be heard and to be honest I felt cery comfortable playing Van Halen's Eruption and I could play the finger tapping parts with ease. I own a Epiphone G310 and the neck on that was fitted on very slightly at an angle, but the thing that stood out with this guitar was that everything seemed to be in ship shape and looked as though someone had taken time to build it to perfection, that's how neat everything looked on it.

I don't actaully own this guitar, it is one of my mates guitars (for the sake of this article, my mate will be known as Wallace), although I play it regularly and practically know it inside-out! I believe it's the new black 2007 model. It features a double cutaway body made from premium alder with an ebony finish. I found the feel and playability of the 24 fret maple neck to be surprisingly nice, it just goes to show that looks can be decieving, the body is shaped in such a way which means the 24th fret on the high e string is accessible without any problems, so it's frickin easy to shred some solos on the higher notes!

gematria
    sweet, i'm getting this guitar on saturday for my birthday, it's ****in awesome!
    Drakathan
    Lol this is about 90 !! Thats about 50-60 ! 114, thats expensive! Go to thomann.de its cheap
    hadgideus
    I know it's been a long time since this review was posted,but does anyone know why epiphone stopped producing em1?Are there any problems with this guitar,because I'm thinking to buy it.Thanks in advance...