EM-1 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Epiphone: EM-1

Price paid: A$ 250

Purchased from: Gallins Guitars

I generally use a micro cube to play it however I also use a Laney owned by a friend of mine. Can't remember the model. I find the sound has the potential to be great, but it doesn't respond well to certain amps, tone frequently suffers, and its hard to get a decent distortion. Its not noisy, and I never have feedback issues. The sound is extremely bright. Sounds awesome on chorus/flanger. I can't get a sound that good out of any other guitar.

I play classic rock (zeppelin, van halen)and occaisonaly metal. The guitar is not really suited to my style of playing, but I do use it sometimes. What it is good for are the distortion/chorus heavy songs, which often occur in 80's rock and grunge. On the the grunge note, its sounds great for that... garagy (spelling) feel. Because of its brightness you can also play the indy shit that people have started playing en masse, but it looks more like a metal guitar. I've played it for abour 4 years, and since it doesn't look like giving out, will continue to play it. Good beginner guitar, and good for someone with specific tastes. But you'll want something better, and more versatile in the long run.

Does stand up on gigs, and have and would continue to play it live. Great for finger picking as I accidently discovered. Strap things are awkwardly placed on the side, but that doesn't create many issues. Finnish seems durable, its an epiphone, so you know they've got the basics right.

The action which I assume was factory set up, is rediculously high. Its like a classical guitar, which is kinda what attracted me to it in the first place. Still I've allways wanted to lower it, just never got around to it. The nob on the pickup selector is notoriously dodgy, and frequently falls off. I lost it for about two years then put it back on, and fell off in another two weeks. Other than that the guitar is quite solid and amazingly reliable.

The guitar was madde in Indonesia. 24 frets at last count, all of which are easily accesable thanks to a double cutaway. One advantage of this guitar.The guitar looks like a bass guitar rather than an electric. I've really gone of how this guitar looks. Black finnish, but picks up finger prints, smudges easily, and are very easy to see. Two humbuckers, a volume nob and a tone nob. Came with gig bag, but thats a given now days.