EM-2 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EM-2 Custom

Purchased from: GAK

I play mainly metal such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Bullet For My Valentine and stuff like that, but i also play things like Blink 182 and Green Day, along with stuff like Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses. I'm running it through a Line6 POT X Live into my computer, I've got a solo performance video on youtube that shows me playing BFMV and a Zakk Wylde song, search 'karlb1' and you can see what this sounds like, also check my other vids using this guitar (for dome purposes). I was surprised with the sound of this guitar as it cost surprisingly little, but when i played it i fell in love with it instantly.

This guitar is perfect for my styles and easily meets the same standards as my 700 Schecter guitar. If this were stolen I would definately get a new one, since the stolen one would be inserted inside the person who stole it. I was considering whther to purchase this model or another one of the new Prophecy guitars but this one was definately the perfect choice for me and I have no intention of gtting rid of it any time soon.

This will definately withstand Live playing. The only flaw with the durability of this guitar is the knobs, this is probably only my axe but the knobs kept sliding off, which isnt exactly ideal for a pull/push pickup activator, however I removed these and it still looks fine as there are just jet black knobs underneath. The straps buttons are very sturdy, however I have changed mine for Schaller strap locks as I have with all of my guitars just as precaution. Everything on this section is perfect, finish seems very durable.

The set up from the factory was perfect, strings weren't too close to the neck but were close enough for it to play comfortably. The pickups are perfectly placed and everything was pretty much perfect out of te box apart from the tuning (bare in mind it had been sat in a showroom the other side of england for a few months and had to go through different temperatures and conditions which would affect it) but this was only slightly.

This guitar went into production in 2007 I think and was released here in the UK mid 2008. 24 frets, amazingly comfy and thin bolt on neck with a transparent midnight ebony finish. It has an original non-recessed Floyd Rose and has EpiActive pickups, which are active pickups which can also be used as passive for use without a battery.

Amroth
    "I'm running it through a Line6 POT X Live." Man, you gotta tell me where you bought that one.
    36mikeyb36
    DarkValo666
    EpiExplorer
    Its quite good, but main retail price for the best model version is actually around 599 with EMGs. Sound smuch better than this base model. But for the best of the prophecy series, check and spec the LP, much more stunning.
    todd6138
    No really; this guitar is a bargain! I don't know why everyone thinks it is so ugly. Mine looks and plays fantastic! I paid 400 for mine and it was the best 400 I ever paid. The pickups are very hot but cut through distortion well; the neck is small and silky smooth, the tuners are great; the floyd rose is stable and easier to restring than I thought it would be, because my Ibanez Rg was a witch. I promise you, I am an Epi man for life! And I have had zero problems with the knobs. Play it everday for over four months.
    jean_genie
    It's an awesome guitar ... for the price. I don't like the pups, and the short scale isn't everybody's thing. But it stays in tune well (over time and through massive dive-bombing), and sounds and is built as well as or better than any other guitar in this price range. I'd give it a 7/10 in general, and a 10/10 for the price.
    megaganj
    jean_genie wrote: \I'd give it a 7/10 in general, and a 10/10 for the price.
    I think that should be implimented as a standard system for equipment reviews on UG. The genral rating and the relative value rating. becuase I've seen a whole lotta entry level guitars get 9.5s and 10s on here. it really eliminates the whole point of rating things on a scale from 1-10
    afrosk8er395
    i have this guitar it is everything he said it is and more the flyod on this thing is amazing
    Hiltz
    i played one, and they play ok, but it is the ugliest guitar ive ever played, thats for damn sure.
    Angrypacman
    DarkValo666 wrote: Agreed, this is an ugly guitar. And I assume a 260 pound guitar wth active pickups won't be sounding very great...
    I actually like the look of this one
    Vendetta V
    Damn guys so much arguing on this guitar... loads of people say its got a non-recessed floyd rose eh my friend checked out andplayed one and i was recessed.. also some other guys say it is fully flaoting (ie recessed) but ive got osme pictures which show it is noonrecessed and others which show it is!!!damn.. i guess the old (first generation) guitars were non recessed but now even Musicianfreind and GC both answered me that it is recessed! hmm idk and ithas got awesome pups.. for stock pups.. and for the price youknow... and it aint ugly guys it looks pretty sharp and agressive... for a "cutting head Duel"
    todd6138
    I bought one in the US with a manufacturing date in 2009 for this very guitar, The Epi EM2 custom FX, and it most certainly does not have a recessed trem system.
    koolkarlb1
    I wrote this review, and trust me, these pickups really are great quality for the under 300 price...i had a set of pickups waiting when this guitar got here so i could fit them ASAP, but these really are amazing. I have Youtube videos wit this guitar aswell, search 'karlb1' and you can check how versatile this is from a few of my videos.
    Metalfreak777
    DarkValo666 wrote: 36mikeyb36 wrote: Not very kind to the eyes, hopefully it sounds better than it looks. Doubt it's a straight 9 for only 260 euros though. Agreed, this is an ugly guitar. And I assume a 260 pound guitar wth active pickups won't be sounding very great...
    you'd be surprised how awesome it actually sounds and played, and the design does grow on you over time, ill admit its not as good looking as a JEM or anything like that but the sustain is almost infinate