ES-175 Reissue review by Epiphone

Epiphone: ES-175 Reissue

Price paid: £ 299.99

Purchased from: DV247

I play some blues, reggae, rock, metal and surf music. It sounds good with every type of music. I'm playing through a Marshall AVT50X, no effects at all. The sound is amazing, it's very warm, thick and versatile. It's got the typical hollowbody sound. The ES-175 sound is basically the same as the Epiphone Les Paul Custom only it's got a much more fuller, thicker, warmer and spacier sound. It's very easy to get feedback, but the feedback is not annoying it's pretty cool when you can control it, which is just turning the knobs here and there. The guitar sounds great in every pickup setting.

I regret not having purchased the ES-175 sooner, it was much better then I'd even expected. I'll never get rid of my Gibson Les Paul Standard out of free will and the same goes for this one, the ES-175 has become the main guitar for recording cause the sound is just awesome. I'm sure that a Gibson would sound beter and feel better but for people like me Who don't have the money this is what you should be going for.

I'm sure this guitar would withstand Live playing, I'd probably go for my Gibson Les Paul Standard though not because of the sound but it's more practicle to play and jump around on stage, but maybe that's just something to get used too. I also use strap locks just for extra insurance.

When I first tried the guitar out at the shop the action was high which I don't like cause I'm mostly a rhythm guitar player. So I asked the shop to set it up nicely with closer action. It's setup well as far as I can tell, all stays in tune also higher on the fretboard only bending the strings won't change a note much. I think it's because of the strings, it felt better once I had changed the strings.

The Epiphone ES-175 Electric Guitar brings back one of the world's most beloved instruments. In 1949 Gibson introduced the ES-175 to enduring and well-deserved acclaim. Since it was primarily an electric guitar it didn't need the very large dimensions of a classic archtop but it still benefited from the full hollowbodied resonance of an archtop design enhanced by Gibson's fabulous new humbuckers. This Epiphone version has the same sumptuous vintage vibe of the original including dual Alnico Classic humbuckers a meticulously applied sunburst finish split parallelogram fretboard inlays on a bound rosewood fretboard rosewood bridge base gold tophat knobs and deco trapeze tailpiece.

DukeFame
    leftinflinflon : Sorry: its fat and ugly with no place in rock n roll, can't imagine Jimmy Page playing one.
    two words, ted nugent
    scruftyboy
    no place in rock n roll, lol.
    leftinflinflon wrote: Sorry: its fat and ugly with no place in rock n roll, can't imagine Jimmy Page playing one.
    dean.h
    No place in rock and roll that's exactly where it's place is - Jimi Page plays rock doesn't he, not rock and roll. I use it for Jazz I have a Strat and An old Yamaha Sg85 for Rock. My only gripe with the E175 is that I get some buzzes from the hardware particularly the crapomatic bridge wire. Most hollow body guitars seem to have some buzz, you can't really hear it amplified so it's not too bad. Anyway great guitar for the price
    weorge
    dunno y i looked at this im not att all interested in this guitar, by the way most lead players like their action low as well, as do most guitarists (except flamenco and classical guitarists)
    jpk6044
    The Gibson ES-175 was made famous in progressive rock by Steve Howe of Yes. Great guitar. I assume the Epiphone version is a bit of a step down in quality. Wondering how much it goes for....
    Bassist87
    It's a nice guitar but it's body is to thick. I like playing guitars that have thin bodies.
    Liberchaotica
    The only gripe I would have is the placing of the pickup toggle, but apart from that it looks pretty damn sweet
    Huffman
    decent looking guitar,... im looking into all the semi hollows nd i jsut want a guitar thats not gunno bust mi bank but will play clean nicer than mi schcter damian 6... im not sure but i wish they made these with longer necks (eg 22 min but 24 frets would b nice.. i jut like that)
    Wulver
    Well, of course not. Page plays one that's even bigger. Check the video of "In My Time of Dying" from the Zeppelin reunion show, for one thing. and while you're at it, check out some videos of Yes and Steve Howe. Should say all that needs to be said. I think I'll buy one of these Epi ES-175s one day....lovely guitar...
    qotsa1998
    Looks really nice. They also have a blueburst finish on this, which is even cooler imo. Im sorta looking for a good clean/jazz-sounding guitar, since i kinda like the prototypical "jazz tone." Its between this and a Strat, and b/c i also like Hendrix and John mayer, i think the Strat will win. But this looks pretty cool, i might buy one some day.
    beatles65
    John Hiatt said it best; "there oughta be a law, with no bail, smash a guitar and you go to jail. with no chance for early parole, you don't get out until you get some soul." Someday you young guys will outgrow the thrashing and settle down with a guitar like this.