ES-339 Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: ES-339 Pro

Price paid: £ 299.99

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

I own an Epiphone Dot too, so I expected this to suit my style the way that guitar does; and I was NOT disappointed. It has such power! My band The Twisted Dolls play Blues Rock (White Stripes/BRMC esque), and when it runs through my effects I can't play it enough! I'm using it with my Fender Frontman 212R 100w Amplifier, through an EHX Little Big Muff pedal and Crybaby Wah. For my style of fuzzy/dirty garage rock, it fits amazingly. Whether it is riffs, solo's or slide guitar the humbuckers really deliver. The bridge pickup as you'd expect has a really bright tone, giving that power Crunch when run through Overdrive. The Neck pickup is where I think this guitar sells itself. I love (trying) to play in the Clapton-esque "Woman" tone, with Full Volume and Low tone, and the sound is fantastic on this Guitar! I admit to not getting a lot of use out of the 'Coil Tap' as Single Coils are not my style, but they work fine none the less, and do indeed emulate that Strat Twang very well. Sometimes acting as a hired gun for bands who need a stand in guitar player, this guitar has really tried a number of genres; and excelled! Blues, Rock, Indie, Pyschedelic, Jazz & Pop are more than within its capabilities! I would say it may not be the most suitable for Metal however.

For my style of Fuzzy, Riff based Blues Rock it suits down to the ground. I also write a lot of melodic Semi Acoustic music, and any lead guitar lines I lay down with this beast! I've been playing for 6 years now, and I own several guitars (a Dot, Tele, Les Paul, WildKat, SG and Dobro), this is now one of my favourites. A welcome addition to the collection. I ABSOLUTELY would get this again if it were stolen, and boy could I understand why the poor sod who stole it, did so; this guitar is a beauty! My favourite features of the guitar are the pickups (neck particularly), the feel of the 'Short Scale' body, the slim, easy to play neck & of course the rock solid tuners! I'd compare it in sound to a Sheraton/Dot, but a little more Rocky. If there is one thing I wish it had, it is a Bigsby. My Epi Wildkat has one, but it doesn't stay nearly in tune as well as this fine piece of equipment. If you're thinking "Hmm, Should I get this/Should I not?", I felt the same. Until I bought it, now, I can not put it down.

It would absolutely withstand Live Playing. It is going to be my number one guitar at gigs. If you're in the UK, come to a gig of mine and you can see the guitar yourself! It is so sturdy. It is the tuners that are surprisingly the most durable. I played it at rehearsals, and in 3 hours I had to retune the standard tuning ONCE! Extremely durable hardware, it will last a long time. Sadly it does have nickel covers on the pickups which will eventually dull, but chrome covers are not expensive at all if you don't like the 'weathered' look. The strap buttons hold well, but I must say as a general rule I always install Schaller strap locks. For a guitar you love, it is worth doing! Personally I wouldn't take it without a backup, but I wouldn't take ANY guitar without a back up to a gig. You just never know when a string or strings could break, or a guitar will get knocked. But it can hold it's own as the star guitar of the show, yes!

Out of the box the action was excellent. Nice and low with 0 Fret Buzz. I'd say it was a little low for me as I like to play Slide Guitar, but a small adjustment took seconds with the bridge. Pickups were at a great hight for the action (again I adjusted them slightly after I altered mine). But all in all, I could not complain! Everything looked and felt as though (considering it has only had a factory set up) that it had been done professionally. Bridge was routed perfectly, Neck in a great position (not too straight or bent). The finish is GLORIOUS! The cream binding around the guitar is steller! (As you'd expect with an Epiphone, the 'E' on the scratchplate fell off within days. But super glue fixed that) My ONE bugbear with the guitar was I felt the fretboard was a little rougher than I've experienced. Not noticeable in day to day playing, but when you start to Bend strings you feel it. (On the advice of a Luthier mate, I took the strings off, and rubbed the rough parts with a little Steel Wool/Wire pad/Brillo Pad, and then applied a small amount of Lemon Oil to the affected areas. Left it over night, gave it the once over with a cloth) Now it is PERFECT. It really is users choice, I just took that extra step to smooth out the board as I bend strings a lot :)

This Guitar was made in 2011, in China. It has 22 frets, a slim '60's Style' neck with a Rosewood Fretboard. Similar to the Dot/Sheraton guitars made by Epiphone this has a laminated top, and is a 'Semi-Hollow' guitar (making use of a Solid Centre block inside the body to reduce feedback). The body of the guitar is laminated Maple, in a wonderful Ebony finish (it really gleams!) with an excellent Mahogany Neck. When it comes to the body shape, this is where it gets good; It feels like an ES-335/Dot, but it is slightly smaller in its frame shape. This does make it feel as though its a cross between an ES-335 and a Les Paul when playing. An excellent quality. Plus it is easier for moving around the stage etc if you plan to gig. As you'd expect it has the Tune-O-Matic bridge, sitting next to 2 'EpiPro' Humbucker pickups. (with the Standard 2 Tone/Vol controls and 3 way selector switch). The Pickups really sing; they can crunch, ring out clearly, and produce beautiful sweet tones! Another useful feature is the 'Coil Tapping' mechanism installed. A simple click 'up' of each volume control turns the selected Humbucker into a Single Coil Pickup. Allowing you to emulate (once played with a little) some nice 'Strat-esque' tones. Classic Vintage tuners (Kluson/Tulip syle) grace the top of the Head, and they are sturdy as hell. Seriously my old Gibson SG didn't hold the tuning as well as these and that was 2 1/2 times the price!

gerrygtr62
    I recently got one in Pelham Blue, as a factory 2nd.....after adjusting the bridge to my liking, this guitar sounds/plays beautifully, I love it a lot!!!
    0ld H1pp1e
    I own a cherry red model myself. I've noticed that I get a significant drop off in volume when I engage the coil tapping feature. I also had a bit of an issue with intonation on three of the strings. I was able to adjust that. The action out of the box was a little higher than I like it, but the bridge is very easily adjusted. And now that it is breaking in it is just a delight to play. It is definitely my go-to guitar now.
    jackmiddlemiss
    I was on the search for a semi-accoustic guitar and I played quite a few in the store and this one instantly grabbed my attention. As soon as I hooked it up and started jammin', I loved it. For the price you can't beat a guitar like this and Epiphone is a fantastic make. This guitar feels and looks great. Don't really use the single coil pickups often cause the humbucker does sound better. I've had this guitar about a month now. I did have a bit of a fret buzz at first, but got that taken care of quickly and it is now my favorite guitar. Will definetely be using this for future gigs.
    surffsav
    After reading the reviews I gave the ES 335 a 7. However, I'm still buying one. I honestly do not expect any-where-near-perfect with a guitar selling for a street value of $400.00. As long as the body/neck is good, everything else can be repaired/replaced.
    kevinpaul
    I like these guitars very much. I only play them in shops and want to buy one when I am sure it is a safe move, $400.00 is still a lot of money to me. I buy with my eyes not my brain, not a good way to go about it. I have a Brian Moore I love and a Gretsch CVT. Both are like the 339 in some ways. I read more about it and like the reviews.
    jimku
    I belong to a blues forum with over 6,000 members. They rave about the Epi ES339. So I ordered one from Sweewater, don't even have it yet. I own 11 guitars now, have been playing for 45 years or so. I don't own an over-priced Gibson and never will. The Gibson ES339 is $2,100.00 more ... is it $2,100.00 better? Not just no, but HELL no! So long as the body and neck are good, I could REPLACE literally EVERYTHING else on the guitar with the best components money can buy and still be WAY ahead dollar-wise.
    electromax
    I own an epi riviera and I'm quite glad about it. The 339 seems pretty similar in shape, dimension, solid block... I wonder if somebody could compare these two guitars. Especially about the sound. Is it worth to buy this guitar or is it too similar to riviera?