Explorer GT review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Explorer GT

Purchased from: Andertons Music

Pickups are pretty good, acutally. A bit 'soulless' and noisy on high gain as you would expect from a stock guitar at this price - sound very good distorted, and more than passable clean. Vol and tone are fairly useable to get a range of tones. Would be improved with better pups of course. The bridge can be pretty quacky, and the neck warm and bluesy, actually - you could use this for a great variety of styles, but rock and METAL will sneak in your back door and abuse it while you aren't looking...beware! Playing through my Ashton BlueTongue 50 tube amp with a range of pedals - Danelectro Cool Cat metal II, Fuzz and Transparent overdrive; Korg Pitchblack; Crybaby upfront (not in that order!) and delay/chorus/MXR 6-band EQ in FX loop. Sounds great for the price!

I play rock/blues/metal/thrash - anything. It suits all those styles apart from light rock & jazzy stuff really well (although it could do them at a push). Sounds great distorted; killswitch is top fun. My only reservation is that due to the reduced size it doesn't feel like a 'proper' Explorer - although I think this will turn out to be an advantage in the long run. I've had loads of guitars from Squiers to PRS and have been playing 25 years, occasional gigs but mostly home/bedroom. For the price this is a great guitar and it even feels like it should cost much more. Free delivery from Anderton's music - next day when ordered online - get in there while they last! It's great for me, and I'm sure it'll be thrashing away in my room for some time to come... I'm pretty chuffed with it. I'll give it an 8 to avoid offending the gearsnobs out there who rubbish any high review not for equipment that costs enough to require the sale of body parts to buy it...although for value etc., I'd give it a 10.

Seems like it would withstand gigging, and seems like it will last - but time will tell on the killswitch (which is the obvious choice to wear out first). If it did go it would more than likely be as a consequence of use and so I wouldn't knock it down for that - I'm sure that such a Switch must be made to withstand constant use/abuse anyway...we'll see. Finish is great. I'll give it an 8 but consider I don't yet know!

Needed tuning out of the box; came with factory 10-46's which aren't too bad (and at least they're not shitty 9's which I HATE). Truss rod needed a half turn to reduce a little bow, and bridge needed lowering a shade as action was high - now plays sweet with a medium-low action, very little fret buzz - I've heard bad things about Epiphone, this is my first, and I have to say it's actually very well made and finished. No dodgy frets, finish is spotless, everything works. The killswith is activated by pressing down on the tone pot - GREAT FUN and works as well as a 'normal' killswith, in fact a bit easier to use as you just have to tap it - this feature is pretty unique and makes this guitar a great choice for beginners/intermediate/advanced (although more experienced players will possibly think it feels 'cheap' - the body is really light, but that makes it really comfy for long playing sessions and jumpin aroond on stage!!).

Made Indonesia, 2010 - these have just been released. 22 jumbo frets - rosewood f/b, bolt-on neck Worn black matt finish. Reduced size Explorer shape (but still full scale length) with V style headstock. Tune-o-matic bridge; Epi neck & bridge humbuckers 1 x vol, 1 x tone (with built-in Shadow killswitch); 3-way switch. Stock Epi sealed tuners. Came with a cable & that's it! I'd give it a 5 (neither here nor there) but the inclusion of the awesome killswith on a sub-140 guitar = 9. A licensed Floyd would be nice, but there isn't enough depth to the body to fit one...or maybe there is...anyone up for it?

gl.tch
    Thankfully, people like you don't have that sort of control.
    EpiExplorer
    Considering they've done more for the guitaring world than any guitar brand except Fender.. yeah, you're just an idiot.
    highkingnm
    We r so glad u don't own a guitar shop. If u did-it would sell babys guitars and crap from the scammers at tradetang
    METAL JEFF
    I just bought a kramer imperial for the same price from samash,it's a much better guitar that the epiphone.
    METAL JEFF
    I own one,great guitar for the cash.It is very hard to play sitting is it's only con,it slips off your lap.
    ScottIan
    This is what it is. A $200 starter guitar. I just ordered one and I'm sure it will be good. I bought an Epiphone Ace Frehley LP Custom a few years ago and it is great. The playability and sound are awesome. It is as good or better than any Gibson or Fender I have ever played. To say Epiphone shouldn't exist shows your ignorance. You are just dumber than a bag of hammers.
    eargasmicalist
    Glad my review got y'all arguin, at least. I'd never even heard of the Futura - having researched it, it seems a smaller prototype of the Explorer? Epi explain on their site that this is INTENDED to be a smaller-bodied explorer, which I think aims it squarely at the younger market. It IS mahogany but feels more like a basswood or similar lightweight guitar when strapped on (oooer missus). I stand by my review that this is a really good instrument especially for the price. However I just want to thank many of the above posters for their just plain f**king stupid comments, which have made me chortle indeed - especially the one about gibson and epiphone...if'st thou hatest these two brands so much, why the fook art thou reading a review about one of their products? Guitarded.
    slash2670
    **** off. they have done more than u for guitarists than u ever will and if u play guitar than u have to at least recognize gibson as the 2nd best, or maybe even the best, guitar brand. epiphone is pretty much the same thing so dont hate plz!
    DJ2109
    OWNED
    Veil of Lies
    leftyace wrote: I have to admit that I enjoy reading the comments more than the reviews. If you truly want to see how idiotic people on UG can be, don't look to the Pit, look here.
    I sometimes find that there is more actual information in the comments.
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: RyanMetalMatthe wrote: That's the worst-looking Explorer rip off I've ever seen. This Futura crap shouldn't exist. Neither should Gibson or Epiphone. I fail to see how it's an "Explorer rip off," when it's a Futura. And the Futura came out in what, 1962? Not to mention that Gibson bought Epiphone back in the day when they made high-quality and awesome semi's and fully hollows. Then they started producing Gibson copies a few years later, I believe. But you DO make a completely legitimate point. I mean, come on. The invention of the humbucker and the original LP made absolutely no impact on todays metal scene, whatsoever
    leftyace
    Trauma138
    Well, you guys are right in as far as that is a smaller futura shape, but unfortunately Epiphone are marketing this as an explorer (in the UK at least) ... I just hope this isn't their way of slowly bringing in the futura over explorer models. The prophecy series for example, perfect opportunity to make a bad ass explorer, and they went with the futura. Damn fools!
    Abyssous
    Doesnt look that bad, kind of looks like a Ibanez Destroyer DTX120 to me.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I fail to see how it's an "Explorer rip off," when it's a Futura. And the Futura came out in what, 1962? Not to mention that Gibson bought Epiphone back in the day when they made high-quality and awesome semi's and fully hollows. Then they started producing Gibson copies a few years later, I believe. But you DO make a completely legitimate point. I mean, come on . The invention of the humbucker and the original LP made absolutely no impact on todays metal scene, whatsoever
    BrokenDstring
    Looks great for the money, and good dece review.
    Words of wisdom right there....
    celticstorm84
    Looks like it would be good for the price. What's the quality like for Indonesian made guitar? Is it like buying Korean made?
    RyanMetalMatthe