Explorer GT review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Explorer GT

Purchased from: Thomann.ge

The clean tone is great; ambient if you need it, but with enough punch to pull of clean rock tunes. However, it really comes to life when you kick in the overdrive. High gain effects and distortion suit this guitar to a T. This guitar is built for Rock - it sings beautifully for such a cheap guitar, and easily suits anything from classic rock to death metal with very few problems. A nice little feature to this guitar is the killswitch-tonepot, which kills off the sound with a tap and is great for machine-gun effects, etc. I'm not aware of any other guitars that have this. Really can't fault it in this area.

I am a bassist by nature, took up the guitar a while back to try and widen my musical horizen. I've played a lot of expensive Les Pauls, ESPs, Deans, etc. but this guitar can hold it's own against most of them. It is comfortable, beautifully made and is one of the best all-round guitars I've seen. If you're looking for a budget guitar as a beginner or for a back up, go for this one.

I have not used this guitar live, I only use it to practice with at home. It's very, very light and sits on your lap easily, standing is also fine; but it feels like it wouldn't cope too well with live performance - the pickups don't feel up to it. However, due to the guitar being so cheap you could easily throw in a couple of EMGs to give the sound a boost (I intend to do this).

When the guitar arrived I was worried about factory defaults. I've ordered guitars online before and had terrible trouble with action and bridge set ups; however, when this arrived it felt as if it had just been set up. The action is really good, very low and comfortable, and the neck is one of the most comfortable I've played with (so smooth!). I did need to adjust the truss-rod slightly, just to reduce the bow a little - but that takes about 5 minutes and would probably have to be done on most guitars bought online, and even some bought in store.

As you may know, this is a newer, cheaper, smaller version of the classic explorer. It's prodominantly for beginners. - Made in Indoniesia - 22 frets - Mahogany body - Maple neck - 2 Humbucker pickups - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Faded black finish Do a search and you'll find out the specifics :P

EpiExplorer
    highkingnm wrote: RyanMetalMatthe wrote: That's the worst-looking Explorer rip off I've ever seen. This Futura crap shouldn't exist. Neither should Gibson or Epiphone. We r so glad u don't own a guitar shop. If u did-it would sell babys guitars and crap from the scammers at tradetang
    Futura came before Explorer and its influenced an entire throng of guitarists and their guitars.
    castintheTele
    Yeah I guess the futura came first, I thought the V and Explorer came first, but they were released in 1958, and the futrua 1957
    castintheTele
    But anyhow, this guitar sounds promising, its so cheap you could drop in some damn good pups and still pay under 500$ for it.
    swordsofplague
    I played this in the store expecting an absolute shit-show, and I was honestly pretty impressed. Sure the hardware should be dumped like a bad act, but the actual feel is surprisingly pretty awesome. Was a pleasant surprise
    carlosthegr8
    BrokenDstring wrote: Looks great for the money, and good dece review. RyanMetalMatthe wrote: That's the worst-looking Explorer rip off I've ever seen. This Futura crap shouldn't exist. Neither should Gibson or Epiphone. Words of wisdom right there....
    maybe words of wisdom... if your an idiot.
    jacks2axe
    my only problem with this guitar is the tuning pegs, I need to replace them, other than that it's a great little guitar for my 10yr old son.
    MetalAce420
    I bought this guitar thinking it would awesome, and it is pretty decent for the price. I only have 2 complaints. 1, sometimes there is a buzzing when I play certain strings and it pisses me off, this guitar is not good enough quality for anything other than practicing. 2, the volume knob gets in the way A LOT! Sometimes I'll be playing a solo and my hand starts rubbing the volume knob and before I know it the volume is at 0 and I can't hear anything. That is the biggest design flaw EVER! It pisses me off so much that I might just cut the volume knob off and mail it to Epiphone with an angry letter. I'm thinking of just upgrading to an ESP Explorer. Don't buy the Epiphone if you want to play live or record.
    ne14t
    Great little guitar for the price, got it locally for $220 CAN at the Long and McQuade store. This is a reduced size version of the Explorer, its about 15% smaller then its big brother. The smaller body makes it look like a Futura but it ISNT. Pickups are USA made Humbuckers with a 650R in the neck and a 700T in the bridge (think Gibson PUPs). The kill switch is what drew me to the guitar, its a fun little addition to any play style and makes this entry level guitar an awesome value for what it is. Also to MetalAce420 to me it sounds like your guitar needs to be setup properly, before dismissing the guitar as garbage I would take it to a local tech/luthier and have them set it up properly and it will probably play ALOT better. Oh and to those complaining about the whole Epiphone vs. Gibson crap well just to let you know in 1940 one Lester Polsfuss (Les Paul) worked in the Epiphone factory before Gibson even starting making the Les Paul series guitar and in fact his original solid body guitar was made with a Epiphone guitar body in fact Gibson originally turned down the idea of a solid body guitar when Les Paul approached them with it, could have been there biggest mistake ever.
    epiphone12
    That's not what your mom said
    cammy90
    i have this guitar and i stuck a bare nuckle covered nail bomb in the bridge and holy shit, this thing can scream!!! going for a black bigsby and some grovers soon aswell XD