Explorer GT review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Explorer GT

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Well, I like playing metal or punk or even funk rhythm guitar, so I'm not anyone who plays lead or solos, I don't relly know about how this suits that, but I can tell that this is probably a guitar for rhythm, not for lead. The body style in overall has been made for it, the 3+3 headstock with double humbuckers and mahogany body... Not very variable guitar, but suits my needs just fine. The sound of the neck pickup really sucks, and I'm planning to put a new pickup there. The Bridge is pretty ok... But it is also a bit worse. Even if this is a cheap guitar, I recommend putting EMG81/85's here. Then the guitar would be perfect... Almost.

Well, yeah. This is a good rhythm guitar. The only problem is that the pickups wont go to distortion very easily. I have used a HSS Stratocaster with 3+3 headtock, and it was almost the most perfect guitar I've ever had, but I can't say the same from this one. I'm a bassist, and I've played guitar only for two years. This is not a perfect guitar, at least as long as you wont replace the pickups. If the guitar would be stolen, I don't know if I would buy it again. It looks very stealthy, but that's all. It is BULKY. But not as bulky as a Squier Bullet. No fret buzz, but I really hate Epiphone necks, the shape is so bad. The inlay is very cool anyway. I like the killswitch, it is really cool. I chose this over a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, because this one is more modern.

I think the first thing that will go broke in this guitar is the tone control. It works really poorly. In contrast, the volume control is perfect. The other hardware is very solid, and I have straplocks now in this guitar. I have dropped the guitar a few times, and the finish seems to take it all. You can play this live without a backup, but remember the STRAPLOCKS.

The factory setup was pretty great, but it was out of tune. The action is just nice. The pickups were tilted worsely, so that the treble end was much higher, and I adjusted them. The strings were .010 gauge, which is ok. Not much flaws on this guitar... But it is really odd and bulky guitar compared to my previous ones. And the strings are really about an inch abowe the body between the humbuckers, which is really different from fenders. The nut is fine. The guitar is much more rounder and thicker, LOTS more heavier that you first think when you see the picture. The guitar body is two inches thick. The neck is thinner than on Squier, no doubt about that.

This guitar was made in 2010, in Indonesia. It has 22 jumbo frets, mahogany body and maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The guitar is completely black, much darker black than in the pictures. The body style is something like Futura with a Flying V Neck, which is really cool. The Bridge is a typical non-tremolo tune-o-matic. The controls are master volume, master tone, killswitch, and a 3-way pickup selector. The pickups are the 650r/700T humbuckers. The tuners are really odd, totally black. The guitar came with a cable, nothing else than that and owner's manual.

Its the Kyle
    leftyace wrote: I have to admit that I enjoy reading the comments more than the reviews. If you truly want to see how idiotic people on UG can be, don't look to the Pit, look here.
    Fist me bro \m/(>
    gfreak117
    I messed around with one of these recently at guitar center. I thought the body was rather small lol but it was kinda fun. The kill switch is pretty cool. If it was a bit bigger I might get it.
    smokedhamtaro
    cammy90 wrote: i have this guitar and i stuck a bare nuckle covered nail bomb in the bridge and holy shit, this thing can scream!!! going for a black bigsby and some grovers soon aswell XD
    Dude, i put a set of nailbombs in mine and had a original floyd rose put on it, fricken insane!!!!!