Explorer GT review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Explorer GT

Purchased from: 4sound

It suits my more extreme metal playing great! I play stuff like Whitechapel and Carnifex, really heavy stuff. I put some 11-46 D'Addarios on it and it can even pull off drop A without flopping out. I normally just play it through my Line 6 UX1 Studio with PODfarm 2.5, and its all I need so far. I would recommend changing the pick-ups though, cause they kind of pull it down a little. It has a very fat sound too, really metal, it can get a little too muddy if you you use too much distortion and bass in low tunings. I wouldn't recommend it to people who wanna play blues and pop-rock and such, it a metal guitar and that's what it should be used for.

If you really want a fat sounding, brutal monster of a guitar for metal, then this is good one for the price, its just an overall great guitar.

It is a heavy guitar, it can really take a beating! It's one of those guitars that will last MANY years, but I did have a little problem with the jack input, it was like it had been screwed out, but I just had to tighten it again and I had no further problems, the paint is really thick too, you really feel that it got a nice and thick coat, no chipping, cracking or any of that.

I don't really adjust any of my guitars much, so I am usually pretty happy with how they come stock. As I said before, if you really want the full potential of this guitar you probably want to change the pick-ups, the stock ones doesn't really do it justice. Other than that it's pretty good, I didn't find any flaws with the paint of the hardware, the only thing is the pick-ups.

This is my first review ever. I think it's from 2008. It was made in China. It has 22 jumbo frets on a 24.75 inch scale and a very fat neck which is great if you wanna tune really low (drop B/A). The body is mahogany and so is the fretboard. It is completely black with a "XII" inlay at the 12th fret. It has a pretty standard Tune-o-matic bridge, that I really like, cause its very simple to change strings on and such. I'm not sure what pick-ups are in it, all I know is that it has two humbuckers in it. There's a tone knob and two volume knobs, one of them also functions as a killswitch. There's non-locking tuners. There didn't come anything with it since I bought it in a store (I hope that was good enough).

rv_phoenix
    Let's quit the hypocrisy. It's a cheap guitar, with smart looks and average sound. Its wood isn't the best for this shape, neithe is the bolt-on neck (a set neck would have been much better), but this axe wasn't intended to appeal to pros. It can be someone's 6th guitar, used at the end of the gig because of its cool looks. But Epiphones aren't so badly built and, as previous comments have already stated, it's good for modding. Swapping its stock Chinese pickups could bring a surprising improvement.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    Got mine as a zzounds blem for $130, already have a Gibson explorer. Forget comparing the sound, not even close. But it does just as good as any other epi equipped with the same pups. As for the size, I like it. i am only 5'9" and I always feel like my fullsize explorer blocks me out out too much. This guitar fits better and the neck is fullsize. It'll make you look bigger onstage lol! the tapping knob is very cool...quieter than toggle-switching but not completely silent. Mine came setup perfectly, I did nothing but tune it and play it. Frets were dressed better than my epi les paul standard. First experience with the Indonesia point of origin. Not bad! Totally worth a deuce or less but good luck finding one...they dont seem to be in any of the big catologs anymore.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    As for the Futura stylings...a bit of Gibson legend and lore thrown in there for no extra charge! };=D
    ClaesCornelius
    My one is a Made in Korea small-body Explorer. It came with Zebra humbuckers and a Floyd Rose trem imitation. Perfect for going apeshit and probably not meant to sound like a Gibson at all. Anyway, it has a clear sound easy to make aggressive through a suitable pre-amp. The trem gives it a Jimi edge!