Fat-210 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Epiphone: Fat-210

I play basically anything, but my band plays a variety of metal, hardcore and grindcore so I'll use that as a base. I play through a Fender FM212R with the band and a Randall 30dfx when practicing. I use a DigiTech Metal Core sometimes (if I need a lot of distortion) and a Boss Phaser. The Epiphone sounds not too bad through both, although when playing with any type of distortion, the guitar just doesn't cut through most of the time, so solos are practically impossible with a good amount of distortion. It mostly has a rather fat sound. Pinch harmonics sound odd.

This guitar doesn't sound too good for the type of music I play, the sound doesn't cut through the distortion, so I can only play basic power chords and lower stuff, metal solos are practically impossible. I've been play guitar for around 3 years, and have learnt a lot on this guitar. I play it clean when I'm practicing songs though, and try with distortion after, to see if it works and it usally doesnt't. I would definitely buy a new guitar if it got stolen. It's a beginner's guitar, and I'm long overdue for a new guitar.

So. I dropped this guitar once on a wood floor. It now has a huge chunk missing out of the lower right end, it modified the sound slightly (for the better too) the strap actually broke, but the strap buttons are definitely some of the best I've gotten on a guitar, very very solid. The hardware actually sounds better with age, and it's lasted very well. The finish and most of the guitar (except that chuck haha) have lasted 2 years, so it's pretty good.

The action I must admit, was low and good low at that when I got it. The pickups needed to be raised though, and the tremelo was set up nicely. The neck was well setup, and just needed some minor adjustments, it also had a random spring inside of it when I bought it, it wasn't connected to anything. It just was in there.

I got this guitar as a present in 2004 and it was made in Indonesia, it has 22 jumbo frets, a fairly thin neck (being 6'1 I have big hands though). Laminated Fat-Strat type body, sunburst finish. I'm not sure what woods it's made out of. Non locking tuners, trem bridge, two passive humbuckers, one volume pot and two tone (the tone REALLY don't do anything though). So all in all very Standard.

candysars
    mini review best $150 strat copy out there. THe humbucker is ok and it works for chunky powerchord stuff, but this guitar cannot do solos all that well. I might try the dropping on the floor mod to see if it helps. haha.
    Toxic-Soul
    Phew! I was looking for this guitar everywhere for a review! I own one and just curious on it's true price (mine cost about 130 on sale). I like it, I agree it's a beginners guitar because it suites me just well so far! heh
    torres_865
    i have a black one and the humbucker souns very cool i love it its my first guitar the only problem is the quality is not so good and that is obvious for the prize but the sound is really good
    thegrim
    my nephew owned one of these and he brought it over to me to make it better, i installed some sperzel locking tuners and i replaced the volume and tones with 250k pots and installed some duncs...a dimebucker,hotstack and custom staggered, this made a HUGE difference in the sound and it was comparable to my fender strat, it was about a 300 dollar upgrade and i would recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade the sound of the epiphone strat copy.
    Toxic-Soul
    Oh sorry to post again I forgot to put this before, any tips on how to mod this guitar (other than dropping it) to make it better? thanks
    hotkiwi
    This guitar served me well in the learning process. Epiphone do no longer produce it though. This is a shame, as it was a much better guitar than the Squier stuff.... i now happily play a Gibson Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash.