Flying Vee Wee Rave Rig review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Flying Vee Wee Rave Rig

It does not suit my music style much besides when I play xmas and calmer music (I usually play metal and classic rock). I have only used it with the little mini travel amp so far, but it sounds pretty good on the overdrive and the clean effect on the amp. It is pretty noisy, the amp is probably like a 5 watt and I could here my dad playing it from upstairs. It is a little on the twangy side though. It does have a rich sound though. I have made it do natural and pinch harmonics so far and it does them better than my other guitars but in less of a variety because of the pickup position.

I play metal and classic rock and occasionally calmer music like Xmas or classical. it matches the xmas and classical perfectly but the metal is a bit bad on the little amp. I have been playing for 5 years now and I own a Dean Razorback V, a Dean Splittail Custom, a B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series, and a Yamaha EG112C. I would have asked what the type of wood was in the neck because it is painted and slides easily and I wanted my other guitars remodeled to that. If it were stolen or lost, I probably would not buy this again, but I would buy the Epiphone SG for about the same price. I love that the neck slides easily, I love that I found a V for this price. I actually don't hate anything about this guitar. My favorite feature is the position of the pickup because it makes pinch harmonics easier. I compared it with the Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee. I chose this one mainly because of the shape (they both sounded the same and I'm getting a reg. Les Paul anyway). I really wish it had an optional wammy bar and more knobs and a toggle switch. overall I will grow to love and cherish this guitar because it is so small and fun.

I would definately not take this guitar to live playing because it sounds like it would go out of tune pretty fast because of its small size. I might use this guitar in a rotation for about one song at a small gig though. The strap buttons are a bit wobbly but you can adjust them with a screwdriver so I didn't mind. The strap they gave you didn't quite fit on the bottom one though. The hardwae seems that it will last me for 5 or 6 years before I need to get anything fixed besides the rotation of strings. The finish seems pretty good but it seems that if it got wet, it would melt off, so don't wet it too much when cleaning it. Like I said, it gets fingerprints all over it.

I think that the setup at the fatory was pretty good. The only thing that I had to mess with was the tuning and the volume (I made it louder) The pickups were adjusted at the perfect position for pinch harmonics, and set at the right hight so you don't scratch them all up with your pick. The bridge was adjustable and is set on the lowest setting witch sounded good to me so I didn't change it, but it can go farther up. The only flaw I found on this guitar was a minor one, the volume knob was on a bit crooked, but who cares! It still works fine.

I got this guitar today for an early xmas present. It's pretty good. It has 1 double humbucking pickup wich is in my opinion a pretty good quality pickup. The strings have a very smoothe feel to them, they are easy to slide up and down the neck. The bridge is a flood bridge witch I hear is hard to change the strings on, but I don't know yet. It has a red, glossy finish wich to my surprise gets finger prints all over it. It has a small neck in length but it has 21 frets on it. The kit I got came with a gig bag (with a spot for the travel amp), a travel 9-volt battery amp, the Mini V (the Vee-Wee), and a small cable witch is a pretty crappy cable (but most cables in kits are). It has one volume knob and nothing else but the knob is pretty quality. The neck is apparently made of a "hard wood" that's all it says. The bridge style is a Tune-O-Matic.

bobwentpop
    Thank you for this review! I haven't laughed so hard in a while. "I think that the setup at the fatory was pretty good. The only thing that I had to mess with was the tuning and the volume (I made it louder)" Possibly my favourite. The bits about wanting a toggle switch, and the knob being pretty decent but then being crooked also nearly killed me.
    rprimeau95
    my goodness people, we bought this for my 3yr old this Christmas. My husband who has been playing guitar for 25yrs owns a real les paul sunburst. The one we got we could not keep the proper tune in various spots of the fret board so we will be returning it ASAP. Not worth teaching him on something that sounds like crap.
    metalhead747
    and its not really about the quality. its just fun to fiddle around on because its small and you can travel with it.
    redrumsixsix6
    who takes into account on how smooth the included strings are on a guitar in a review. I don't think you know what you are talking about.....
    Phoenix-Kun
    anyone who thinks a 150 dollar guitar that cam in a pack has a 'rich sound' Really has no idea wtf they are talking about
    Track-Runner
    metalhead747
    i did! i own it! i like it so i really dont care what the F***K u think about it!
    metalhead747
    okay, ive had it for a while now. i have tryed it with my better amp. im starting to agree with you guys. its sorta suckish. i think ill return it for a cheap sg or something.
    cielmort
    Kid, learn how to tell the truth. By the way, that's one of the worse guitars I ever laid my hands on.
    distinct_eulogy
    I bought one of these rave gig packs because im always on the road and my acoustic was getting beat to hell and back. You have to tune it way high to keep it sounding decent at all, or else put heavy strings on it. It's more of a toy than anything else, but I enjoy it because I can play whenever the hell I want to and i can throw it across the room when I get mad and not worry - because if i break it, im only out a couple hours pay lol. I like it, its fun, but its by no means a great guitar.
    aksak
    Hi, I am also always on the road and I have got a Les Paul Pee Wee Rave Rig one year ago. Actually the amp from the pack is scrap, I had heavy gauge strings set on the gear to be able to tune it to normal tuning. As "disting-eulogy" wrote, this gear is almost more of a toy but I also use it when travelling and practicing in hotel rooms, for which it does the job while connected to a Zoom G1X multi-effect and a headset (not to bother the other guests). My plan is to invest a bit in the gear with a Seymour Duncan SH1B humbucker, a Schaller 456 bridge and Grover tuners. Probably more than what the whole initial kit costed to me. But that may make a funny project guitar. Another (cheaper) option would be to turn it into a slide guitar.
    bretto
    benx3000
    Track-Runner wrote: let me just quote some of the things you just said... "It does not suit my music style much" "I have only used it with the little mini travel amp" "I probably would not buy this again" "The bridge was adjustable and is set on the lowest setting witch sounded good to me so I didn't change it, but it can go farther up" "the amp is probably like a 5 watt" "It has one volume knob and nothing else but the knob is pretty quality" and "the volume knob was on a bit crooked, but who cares! It still works fine" which to me, seems that you didnt really give it a full spin before getting out your handy dandy notebook. no offence kid... but next time, maybe you could actually try the guitar out before you go online and write a review about it.
    For these reasons this was the best review ever XD
    sonic_777111
    bretto wrote: Im thinking of getting a pee wee rave rig for my two year old so he will stop trying to trash my other guitars. Ive never played one, but is it true you cant tune them normally(EADGBE) because they''re so short.
    Yeah, when you buy one it seems like not being able to tune it regularly wouldn't be a problem...but I like to play along with CD versions and if I transpose things I transpose them down (because my voice is really low). I put 13-58 gauge strings on it and still can't get it lower than GCFBbDA without it going out of tune VERY FREQUENTLY.
    Stove0142
    wow, sarcazim is lost over ther internet yet again. you wouldnt need a toggle switch becaus theres only one pickup. the truth is this guitar sucks. this guitar is just one other way big guitar companies have sold out.
    metalhead747
    yes. ecactly. i am allowed to use my dad's deans. but the rest are mine. thank you.
    metalhead747
    i like it, yes its tiny, yes i own EVERYTHING i sed i did, and YES I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR 5 YEARS!!!!!
    damm_punks
    i doubt this guy has been playin for 5 years and owns razorbacks as he has no idea what hes on about
    Donka
    I don't think this reviewer is competent (i mean this in the nicest possible way) enough to write reviews...
    Stove0142
    I really wish it had an optional wammy bar and more knobs and a toggle switch.
    yeah, a toggle switch makes sense, im gonna put one on all my guitars that only have one pickup. This guy may have been playing for 5 years but does he know what hes doing, and does his dad know hes using his guitars?
    chuckflan333
    Reviewer just got his second guitar a step up from his Squier Strat. To be 12 again...
    TheFreeBird
    haha i played one of these. it was actually pretty sweet for a pretty such a little guitar.
    keavader
    I REALLY doubt a single pickup 21 fret guitar deserves as good of a rating as 9s and 10s. Let's be honest. sure, it may be a nice little mini-guitar for ya buddy, but les pauls and fenders get 9s and 10s. not 150 dollar starter packs.
    rhcp_freak
    ... He doesn't sound as though he's been playing for 5 years and owns a Razorback.
    rhcp_freak
    Also, Xmas music on a Razorback? Xmas music in general? *Eats own arm in disbelief*
    metalhead747
    i play it in gigs, apparently ppl like that stuff. i dont lie, again, i own everything i sed i did and i have been playing for 5 yrs.
    Twistedrock
    I'm gonna get me one of the Zakk Wylde ones and put a BKP Warpig and Grover locking tuners on it for lulz. Would be awesome to have this thing as a crazy death machine and if it's reliable enough, I'm playing it at a gig one day.