Futura Custom EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Futura Custom EX

Purchased from: Coda Music (Used)

This guitar suits my style of music. I play mostly Metal stuff, but I do switch to Soft Rock, acoustic and Hard Rock stuff and it suits them all perfectly. I'm currently using a White Horse GT260H head and cab (yes, some of you may have not of heard of the brand) coupled together with a DigiTech multi-effects processor, and the sound that I get is face melting. When I push the gain all the way up, it handles it very well. Like I said, I play a lot of Metal, but you can get so many sounds out of this guitar, its unreal.

I've been playing for 5/6 years now, and I'm so happy that I bought this guitar. Because it was worth every penny. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be very annoyed. But I would easily go out and by another. My favourite feature on this guitar is the pickups. They're just so awesome.

I have never played a live gig before (hoping to in the future), but I would say that this guitar would definitely withstand gigs and such. In my honest opinion, the hardware would last a very long time, you can tell this is a very well made guitar, and it feels that way as well. I could very well depend on this guitar for gigging, but I would always bring a backup just in case something goes wrong (i.e. the battery dies).

When I received the guitar, it was set up really low, which was perfect for me. I can't deal with high action. The pickups were very well adjusted, I had no problems from them at all. Flaws-wise, the only one I found was on the body. On the edge there was a little chip. But that can be sorted, other than that, there was nothing else wrong.

I think this guitar was made in 2008, I'm not really sure. You would have to look it up. The one I have was made in China. It has a set Mahogany Neck, a bound Rosewood fingerboard and 24 jumbo frets. I also need to mention that the neck is very fast. It also has a bound Mahogany Body with a black cherry finish. Bear in mind that it is glossy, so expect fingerprints to stack up. It has a Tune-O Magic fixed bridge. The guitar is loaded with EMG active pickups. An 81 and an 85. The sound you get from these is simply amazing, no matter what amp you play out of. It has 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs. It also comes with grover tuners, which in my mind, is simply awesome. All I got with this guitar was some tools for adjusting the truss rod, would of been nice to get a case with it, ah well. No matter, its not hard to find an Explorer case.

Air_Stryker
    ashcook123
    I had one of these 18 months ago. I loved it but it was just too damn heavy. Sounded like a beast but was hard to play standing up if you're used to strats/super strats. Pros and cons of every guitar, i guess.
    EpiExplorer
    Air_Stryker wrote: Played one, sounds and feels stunning. Looks hideous. It is essentially a malformed Explorer. Like they got the measurements wrong at the factory, but decided to run with it anyway. Kind of a shame, but I would definitely buy one for recording, but I wouldn't go on stage with it. Perhaps I'm just too picky.
    This was the original Explorer shape, before everyone settled on what we're familiar with now. They stopped making it before the 60's and then redesigned and it and so on.