Futura Custom Prophecy FX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Futura Custom Prophecy FX

Purchased from: Guitarcenter.com

This guitar completely fits my music style, it's a mix of Zakk Wylde, Dimebag, and Kerry King. I use it with a DigiTech RP90 multi-effects processor and a Raven RG60 combo amp. It has a great sound, a noise gate will be needed when working with heavy distortion. Other than that, it has a great clean and crunch tone. This guitar can pull off any sound. It can play blues, heavy metal, you name it. The best part is pulling off dimesqueals with the Floyd Rose.

I play mostly metal. This guitar is a soulmatch for my style. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. If this guitar were stolen, I would want to buy another, but it's fairly expensive to buy again. That would be a lost $1,600. I would compare it to the Jackson WRMG Warrior. Although the Jackson is a higher price, the Epiphone is better (I have played both, my band's rhythm guitarist currently owns one). The Jackson's Floyd Rose isn't original, which could impact the tone a little, and the Epiphone is easier to sit down with. I wish this guitar could have a lighter weight, it's stressful on the shoulders at times.

This guitar is very durable for the most part. The hardware is as if it will last a million years. The main problem was the loose strap button, it completely fell out and continued falling out. The only way to fix it was to drill another hole. I would easily use this guitar without a backup if it weren't such a pain to drop tunings. The finish will definately last.

Almost everything was set up perfectly. The pickups were adjusted to my liking, the bridge is fine, and I had some problems with a loose strap button thanks to the straplock, I was also missing a fine tuner screw on the Floyd Rose, which was easily replaced.

Epiphone Futura Prophecy Custom FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo (Midnight Ebony). This guitar is extremely impressive. Although it was made in Indonesia, it's features are stunning. With a color of Midnight Ebony, and a quilt maple top. It is fairly heavy, weighing in at about 12-15 lbs. It has 24 jumbo frets on an ebony fingerboard. The guitar has a bound mahogany body. The neck is NOT bolt-on, it is a set neck with SpeedTaper D profiling, made out of maple with a satin finish. The inlays are one-of-a-kind, it is a blade pattern. It has a similar shape to the Gibson/Epiphone Explorers. One of my favorite features of this guitar is the, you guessed it, Original Floyd Rose teaming up with the active EMG-81 in bridge position and active EMG-85 in neck position. There are two volume controls (Neck, Bridge) and one tone knob. It has a three-way pickup selector that can be used as a killswitch with one of the volume knobs turned down. The guitar has locking grover Machine Head tuners. The guitar came with included strap locks and eye-catching pearl inlay knobs.

Amuro Jay
    Guitar_Jester wrote: Why does it look so weird compared to the normal explorer?
    Jon777
    BornToRun wrote: i'm not really a big fan of the shape.. kinda makes me wanna puke
    Mmmmmm, yeah, me too.
    ProgFolk12
    EpiExplorer
    Its the original shape of the Explorer, all the way back from 1959, then they stopped making it and redesigned it. The Explorer looks so much better though.. But you cant get one with pre installed EMGs. .
    OneTimeReview
    I tried this thing at my local music store today. CHRIST ALMIGHTY ITS HORRIBLE! The build quality is extremely poor for the price. AVOID
    Kevy Absolution
    Gore121
    I just bought one of these a few weeks back for the price I paid its an extremely high quality guitar. Only thing i don't like about it is that when you go to do dive bombs the bottom of the floyd hits the body, which can leave a decent bit of damage. Other then that the guitar is sick! was a major impulse buy, but it was well worth it!
    JohnMerrick
    wow epiphone are really doing awesome with the Prophcy series both this one and the LPs are looking awesome
    Iheartnirvana
    quinlikesmetal wrote: its strange, why would epiphone make it so skinny, it looks like it could just snap in half
    It's as thick as a regular Les Paul, I doubt any snapping would happen.
    Iheartnirvana
    ProgFolk12 wrote: Well it's a decent review, not all 10's, which is nice, but a Raven combo? And EMG's into an SS amp? And then a 10 for sound? If you say so....
    Amp/distortion simulators on the pedal. All tube amps.
    Iheartnirvana
    jetfuel495 wrote: Guitar_Jester wrote: Why does it look so weird compared to the normal explorer? Because this one looks anorexic whereas the normal Explorer is healthy and in good shape.
    This is the shape of the ORIGINAL explorer. The explorer you know of today is a reissue of this one. The "Explorer" used to be called the "Futura". The explorer is just a few inches wider. Besides, this has a floyd rose and active EMG's. I doubt your explorer has that. Go be a n00b elsewhere.
    Iheartnirvana
    Kevy Absolution wrote: A bit biased sounding review; as if it was your first guitar. I could be totally wrong, but as a consumer, I'm curious as to what other guitars and equipment you've owned?
    Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Studio LP, Jackson Kelly.
    OfficialPressSt
    If anyone's wondering, the body shape is different from the regular explorer because its not an explorer, its a futura. This is the name that type of body shape was known as when it was originally released. The explorer came afterwards and was a little wider.