G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: N/A

My musical styles primarily lean towards metal, but over the years I have pretty well run the gamut of sounds. Overall this guitar has been instrumental in shaping the sound and style of my playing. I run this guitar through my Peavey Transfex Pro 212S. For effects I primarily use distortion, wah, delay, chorus/flange, phaser and reverb to create alot of rich textures. The pickups can be a bit hot (resulting in feedback) but I have it pretty well eliminated by using a noise gate and suppression to tighten up my sound.

As I have stated, I primarily play metal, and this guitar has given me the perfect tone for my style of playing. I have been playing now for approximately 12 years and this guitar has been instrumental in my development as a musician. I also own and Ibanez RG style guitar and a Hamer Flying V, and as far as I'm concerned neither of them can hold a candle to this guitar. If it were stolen I would cry like a little girl due to the huge sentimental attachment I have to it (sometimes my fiance says I love this guitar more than I love her). When I was looking at buying this guitar I also tried out a few Fender Mexi-Strats and a couple of Vantages (shudder). Picking up this instrument just felt right to me and seemed to fit me like an old t-shirt. This is definetly one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Over the years I have dropped this guitar a few times, knocked it off my stand and even banged it off my ceiling (don't ask) and it still sounds and plays great. It has been nothing but dependable for me and is easily my number one guitar. The finish is still in overall good condition (besides a few scratches) and I have had numerous friends/acquaintances offer to buy it off me (to no avail).

To be honest, I don't remember what the action/setup was like when I bought, nor would I have known any better anyways. I have had numerous setups done to it over the years though as my tastes change, and each time it has handled it marvelously. The only major work I can remember having done to it was having the cable input replaced approximately 3 years ago.

I am not sure what year this guitar was made in, but I purchased it way back in 1994. It has 22 frets with a Rosewood fingerboard and tune-o-matic bridge. It has 2 covered humbucker pickups (original), 2 tone, 2 volume and a 3-way pickup selector. It has a gloss black finish that has held up extremely well over the years. When I purchased this guitar I also purchased a hard shell case to go with it. All in all I consider this the ideal setup for myself and the my musical stylings (nothing beats the fullness of the dual humbuckers).