G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: Allans

I want to play AC/DC, that's the style. Other hard rock/metal as well. I bought this with a Roland Cube 15, and that's got four FX: OD, distort, metal, and met stack. I run the 310 through the distort and it gives me the AC/DC hard rock. The metal fx are noisy and too powerful for any sustained notes, might be okay for palm muting, but I can't palm mute yet. The G-310 looks like a Gibson SG, I got a black one, because my other choice was a funny red colour and looks weird, not good weird, just ugly. So if you play it clean through the amp it sounds clean. So I guess with any FX or amp sounds you are going to get a good range. Two HB pickups, three way selector, two volume and tone pots per pickup, would give a big range. My only problem is that I got the perfect set up with amp, pots, selector and everything, exactly matching the crunchy AC/DC sound and then I changed the settings, I can remember what I did now. But it sounds great, I don't know what others are like, but I think this would be a good beginners guitar, but not just a beginners guitar. It feels like there's more to it than I'll ever understand or learn.

Good match for hard rock or metal. Been playing for a month, own the little Roland Cube 15 watt. I wish I had asked for someone to play it clean through a stage amp, or really ram it through some licks. I'd have liked someone to tell me which world-class guitarists are using it but I think none. If it was lost (inconceivable) or stolen (possible) then I would track down the culprit and destroy them. But I would probably buy another Epi in a bit higher price bracket. Overall this is a fine guitar that I am really going to enjoy (I can just tell). I wish it was a bit lighter, but I am not used to guitars yet, so we'll see. Maybe I will put up another review in six months. But for now I'd give it an overall 9.

I think this guitar will stand live playing, but I'd like to see it pushed through a stage amp before I can say it. Everything seems okay. It's got a big scratch pad, so it should withstand broad pick sweeps. Strap buttons are solid enough but I haven't really used it. I think the finish is deep enough. I wouldn't like to drop it (and haven't) so I am not going to try.

I think it was set up fine right out of the box, those chinese know how to tune to factory standards. It was almost in tune. Then I started reading about intonation, and got a bit carried away. So then I checked intonation for all strings, low E was out, but most of the other strings were fine. I fiddled with the E and gave up. It sounds fine. I just noticed that tuning all strings with a chromatic tuner and then doing the e5=a/a5=g tuning left them slightly out of tune.

OK for all the technical stuff, just read the other reviews. I think it was made this year, and made in China. It's a G-310, do a search, find the details. This is my first electric guitar, I've been playing acoustic (just learning) for a few months. I'm a beginner, and I reckon it's got all I need, so I give it 10.