G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I normally play classic rock and metal, and this thing does great for both. I was very impressed with the sound of this because it is a budget model. I use this with a 30 watt Fender amp, a Danelectro overdrive pedal, and an original crybaby wah. When I turn everything on, this thing is noisy as hell, but I normally play at high volumes with loads of gain and treble so I kinda expect it. THe neck pickup produces a very rich and creamy tone and the bridge pickup is fantastic for acdc, Black Sabbath, and led zeppelin solos. Plus, the bridge pickup produces some very extreme pinch harmonics with ease.

Overall this a great beginners guitar or second guitar. I have been playing for five years and this thing has held up nicely. If it were stolen I spend a little more money on a G-400 with three pickups. I love the sound of this guitar, but I hate the neck that doesn't allow easy fret access like most SG guitars will allow. My Favorite feature is the look of the guitar, it's visually stunning for a cheap guitar. If anything, I wish this guitar had a set neck for easier fret reach and for longer sustain.

This guitar is very dependable. At the beginning of the year I put in some Dunlop straplocks and they have been holding up. I would feel safe bringing this guitar to a gig without a backup and I have before. Over a year the paint has only chipped off in one little spot that's hardly noticeable.

The action was reasonable when I got it, but I adjusted it so that it was almost touching the neck and there was very little if none buzzing. The pickups were adjusted correctly and the bridge was routed properly. There weren't that many flaws however, after a couple months of playing, the bridge was rusting slightly and strings were breaking very easily.

Mine is a 2006 model with a "classic" white finish. The tuners and pickups were factory made so I wasn't expecting much. It came in a box with a truss-rod adjuster and a cable. It Has 22 frets like most SG model guitars. However, it has a bolt on neck making it a bitch to reach any fret past the nineteenth fret without repositioning your hand. It has a tune o matic bridge which aloows for pretty easy string changes. There is a three way pickup selector, two tone and two volume knobs. Over the course of a year, my guitar sometimes produces a very weak sound when I Switch to the neck pickup, which sucks because I use the neck for most of my solos.

DOA12345
    gibofan01 wrote: ok.. G400??... or, 310??.. well to start G400's lokk so so so much better e.g PICKUPS!! have crome covers which looks great!.. and im not sure weather all of them have it but the white binding on the neck is lush!! it gives it that gibson look!... another thing for that gibson look is the finish!... the 310's have just this boring fake firetruck red and this boring black. i know that obviously the g400's LOOK! better than 310's but the sound is rely different. basically the 310's have more of that cheep les paul copy sound, and the g400's have that brite crunchy angus young sound. belive me they sound different!!! AGREE ?? ?? ?? ??
    for the most part your right, the 310 does also have a white finish. G 400 look WAY better. But the set neck as opposed to the 310's bolt on neck allows for easier high fret access and more sustain and overall better sound
    emokiller1
    if you're thinking of buying this guitar, let me tell you some things that nobody's said yet. ok.... 1. this guitar will not fit correctly into a standard sg case 2. dont even think about changing the pickups!!! the pickguard is only cut to the dimensions of an open coil without rings, which is to small for other pickups like emgs, etc. and thats why I had to get someone to sand it down to the right dimensions. 3. the nut is made of plastic, not bone, not graphite 4. the wood is poor quallity, low grade alder 5. this guitars finish (if not in black) is very good at hiding scratches. (the only good thing) I dont think its worth buying this guitar if I was a beginner again. and lets be honest, the majority of people who buy this are beginners. I know I was a beginner when I bought this guitar. so if you are a beginner, buy the next thing up with a set neck, the g-400 vintage, because everyone gets better and you want something that you can do solos on. for everyone else just stay away from this guitar.
    gibofan01
    reply to emo killer1 rely does not fit!! my friend puts his in a strat case but i would of thought that it fits into an sg case!!rely does it sound better with better pickups? haha my mates got a "BLACK" 310 u can notice the scratches from a mile away!! G 400 all the way!! DOA12345... bolt on necks are unreliable. ever wonder why the god of these copies ( GIBSONS!) are so good? they all have SET NECKS!! set neck allows the guitar to STAY in tune. so yer sustain and comfort is 1 thing but reliability is another.
    seth21
    Losers!!! I have a gibson sg and a gibson zakk wylde signature les paul ha aha ha aha ha aha
    Noodle93
    These reviews are quite helpful. I'm now probably going to buy this one. Don't know on the colours yet though :\
    Black-Metal
    i don't get why every one thinks this is ugly. the only difference is the dot inlays and the bigger scrath plate. the scrath plate and the dot inlays look nicer than block inlays and small scrath plates anyway...