G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

Ok, the sound. I reckon your probably thinking '150 for a Gibson copy, the sounds probably limited and has a poor range'. Wrong. It has an impressive range of sounds, my favourite being with the bridge pickup selected and the tone controls right down, when finger tapping it sounds exactly like Buckethead. The tone is beautifully warm and it sounds superb with distortion to the maximum through my Fender Frontman amplifier! Also it's very easy to do 'pinch harmonics', and combined with the ease of creating whining noises on the higher frets and the unbelievably low action (the strings are about 2-3mm off the fretboard and I've experienced no fret buzz) it sounds great when playing any solo. But (yes there's a 'but') the only problem I've had with the sound is when I play it without distortion, every string apart from the low E sounds clean, it's as though there's a very bad distortion applied to the E string and it doesn't sound at all good.

If there was one thing I could change about the guitar, it would be the dot inlays on the fretboard. I say this about nearly every guitar I review. It's my personal preference really, I just hate dot inlays, I think they should at least be similar to the classic Gibson SG inlays, that thin strip. Anyway, overall a very good guitar, and the extremely cheap price is a bonus. Unfortunately I have to say that if it was lost/stolen I would not buy another, due to a new low paid job. But of course if I had the money, I wouldn't think twice about buying another!

I have gigged with this guitar, I got the best sound out of it when playing Black Sabbath's Paranoid solo, it sounded immense and most of all it felt extremely nice to play, it's as though this guitar was made for hammer on's/pull off's and the resonant sound that escapes from them Humbuckers gets the crowd screamin'!

The only issue that I had with the setup of the guitar was that the neck was fitted on at a very slight angle, resulting in an excess of fretboard by the high e string and little fretboard by the low E string. Also, the colour of the body is a light cream but the neck is a different shade of cream. Other than that, the guitar is very durable (unfortunately I dropped it once while sitting down on stage and it survived with only a dent, none of the paint had chipped off).

The guitar features a 22 fret bolt on mahogany neck, and a double cut alder body. It is fitted with two open coil humbuckers, a 3-way selector, 2 tone and 2 volume pots and an odd magnetism that attracts hot chicks. Before I continue complimenting this guitar, I just want to say that the guy I bought it off was advertising it as a 'Good Starter Guitar', but it's much much more than a starter guitar!

the.spine.surfs
    Rock Damnation
    the.spine.surfs wrote: seth21 wrote: Losers!!! I have a gibson sg and a gibson zakk wylde signature les paul ha aha ha aha ha aha And some rich parents, and your virginity. Congrats. I've been underwhelmed by this guitar. There are better ones at the price point, and the G-400 is noticibly better. I'm just concerned. I doubt that anyone could make an educated judgement concerning a guitars tonality while playing through an MG series amp, like most of these reviewers.
    Can't say I'm too sure how the guitar would handle it. I've played my black G310 through a 100 watt Dean Markley tube and it goes alright, but I find it's better for clean than distortion.