G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: Turramurra Music

The sound is pretty good, the humbuckers are the tiniest bit muddy, but not really too bad. The pickups can get a little noisy on high gain settings but not horrendously bad as some single coil beginner guitars. The G-310 can handle quite a variety of styles, from blues to metal, but excels at hard rock stuff like AC/DC and the like. Its clean sound is pretty good on the neck and middle positions, but the bridge doesn't sound great. On the other hand, the bridge is great for distortion, but the neck pickup can get a bit muddy.

Its a good match to the styles of music I dabble in, however, I wished this guitar had a set neck, because the bolt-on joint and the small cutaways make for very hard uppper-fret access. I compared this guitar to the SG Special, Special II and Yamaha Pacifica and this beat them all sound wise. Overeall, not too bad for a beginners guitar, with good sound and great playability (minus upper fret access). But it has its share of reliability issues. I would recommend this guitar to a beginner, but would probably hesitate to bring this to a Live gig w/o backup now that I have two guitars.

This is where it scores low. After having this guitar for 2 years, it's had its fair share of problems. The strap buttons need regular tightening. At one point the E string was buzzing madly and wouldn't stay in tune. I've had pretty bad intonation problems. The neck had almost fallen off (Bolts coming loose) and the input has dropped into the guitar. I've also had to solder the input wire back on twice. While I shouldn't expect too much from a beginner's guitar, it could have been built slightly better.

I can't really comment too much here, since it was a floor model. But when I got it there were scratches on the pickguard, but that's about it. Action was nice and low and the pickups were adjusted fine. The finish looks very thick and hasn't begun to wear off yet, although there is some "buckle rash" which is to be expected.

Pretty standard features; two tone knobs, two volume knobs, full size pickguard (batwing I think it's called), two open coil humbuckers, chrome hardware, bolt-on neck, Alder body with mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. This guitar is pretty much inbetween the bare-basics SG Special and the G-400. With the same pup's as the SG Special, but with more control knobs and added pickguard.

acl245
    Im not sure that it should get a full 10. if it has a 10 then its like a flawless guitar that would ALWAYS stay in tune and have EVERY kind of sound and would stay in perfect shape even if you tried smashing it. i bet i will be flamed (;
    jakethesnakeLP
    nice guitar. I have an EPi lp custom and its very nice. But the stock pickups have no high end....
    mab0009081
    I never could get my Strat to do what I wanted. It wouldn't stay in tune and I couldn't get the right sound.
    Buy a better strat.
    NZGUITARIST
    IM SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLEN US TO GET A G400 THE 310 IS AN INCREDIBLY VERSITILE GUITAR SLAP ON SOME COVERS AND SOME GROVERS AND ITS JUST AS GOOD AS ONE OF THE LP'S. I WOULD TAKE THIS OVER AN LP ANY DAY WHY..... LPS ARE HEAVY AND OVER RATED PEOPLE ON THIS SITE SHOULD STOP KNOCKIN OTHERS INSTRUMENTS AND SHUT THE F**K UP