G-310 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: Musician Freind

Well, this was my first electric guitar, so I didn't really have a specific music style. I began to play '80s metal, and this guitar fit along perfectly. However, I then began to get into '60s and '70s blues-rock. This guitar didn't fit the blues genre as much as it did the metal, but it still worked out okay. My biggest problem with this guitar is the pickups. The bridge pickup is okay, but the neck pickup is terrible. I'd recommend replacing the humbuckers with a pair of USA Gibson designed humbuckers. This would help out with the sound. However, the stock pickups could be a whole lot better.

The Epiphone G-310 works out great for a first electric guitar. In my mind, this guitar's sound could be a little better. Replace the pickups and you should be okay. The pickups are my only true complaint about this guitar. I like the SG body style, and the feel of the action. I fell in love with this feel so much, that my next guitar was a Gibson SG Classic. Of course the Gibson is better, but the Epiphone is the next best thing.

The finish of this guitar has begun to wear. However, I have owned it for 2 and a half years, so I can't say that it didn't last long. For a guitar made outside of the states, the finish lasted a long time. I have played Live with this guitar, and it didn't show any problems. It could've sounded better, but as far as durability goes, this guitar worked out great.

The action seems a little higher than normal, which I like. As far as pickup ajustment goes, I'd have to say that I am slightly dissapointed. The neck pickup keeps on falling downward, and I can't do anything to help this. This is the biggest flaw in this catagory. The pickup selector also seems a little bit too loud.