G-310 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 4.4 Poor
Epiphone: G-310

The sound is not very good, in general. I'm using it with a Marshall VS30R, which isn't a good amp. It's muddy, yet too bright at the same time, and the pickups just aren't of good quality. I play everything from Blues to Metal and it does none of them well. The variety of the sounds it makes isn't good; it's basically mud/more mud.

Not a good match for me, and my music. I got this as a gift after I had been playing for about six months. I wish I had tried the guitar before my parents had bought it, since it has some serious flaws. If it were stolen I'd let the thief keep it, since I don't care about it and he can try to sell it and get nothing from it. I loved the neck, but I hated everything else about this guitar. Not very good, quite honestly.

This guitar will not withstand live playing. The hardware is fine, in fact, I have it on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard now. The strap buttons are tiny, and are a disaster waiting to happen. The neck bowed beyond truss adjustment, as I believe it is made of non-reinforced basswood. the finish is insanely thick and will only come off if it's hit against something hard. I'd never gig with this; it's a beginners guitar and doesn't stand up to much.

The guitar was set up... okay... at the factory, and there was nothing clearly wrong with it. In fact, there was very little wrong with it. The pickups were adjusted fine, and there were no routing errors (as far as I could tell). The neck was positioned too far in, so frets 18-22 are unaccessible. The only real flaw was that the tuners were loose, quite honestly. This is where the guitar was best, in my book.

I believe this was made in 05 or 06, at the Samick Indonesia factory. It has an alder body with two Epiphone alnico humbuckers, and 2 volume and tone controls, with a three-way Switch. I don't know what the neck was made of, but it was something quite soft. It has a tune-o-matic bridge/stop tail, and unbranded generic budget tuners. It has an extremely glossy fire engine red finish. It also has a rosewood fretboard. Considering the price, it's not bad here.

LeftHandDelonge
    can't decide between this and a Gibson sg Special. I would be able to afford this one a lot sooner.