G-310 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Epiphone: G-310

Price paid: A$ 329

Purchased from: Allans Music, Sydney

I play metal and the guitar suits this style really nicely, this guitar is very versatile and can easily play blues or jazz as well. I'm playing this guitar through my Fender Frontman 15R which has some Killer distortion. This guitar can go pretty loud which I find is good when playing a gig at school or something. This guitar can also handle my cry-baby wah really well.

This guitar has a really good sustain which helps with playing metal, I have peen playing for around 2-3 years and own a squire Bullet Strat and a Fender sonoran Acoustic. If this guitar were stolen or lost I would probably save up and buy an LTD Strat or something. I love the sustain and hate how it was set up (damn allans...). I wish this guitar had better pickups...

The hardware is solid apart from volume and tone knobs (I got them replaced). The strap buttons are crap but it should be good for Live playing if you get strap locks put on. The finish seems thin and would probably wear off within 10 years.

I bought the guitar as an in-floor demo which means it wasn't set up very well, it had been knocked about at the store which meant the input jack actually fell into the guitar while I was playing, some wiring around the pickup selector was also loose. The action on the guitar when I bought it was way too high but was easily fixed. Also the wood on the neck (mostly close to the frets) looks really dodgy. If you have the resources to set up a guitar properly then this guitar will reward you if you put work into it setting it up.

I think that this guitar was made in 2006, it has 22 frets which play nicely. It is Solid top and is red, it looks nice but the pick guard scratches way too easily. It has a tune-o-matic stop tail bridge in chrome which is sweet for resting your hand on while palm muting. The pickups are just stock epiphones, same as the Les Paul Special I think, nothing special but they sound alright. The pickup switch is 3 way and is easy to move around so you can change tones easily while playing a song.