G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

I like playing older classic hard rock like led zeppelin, guns n roses, ACDC and many other older stuff and it suits rock n roll and hrad rock when it's slightly distorted. It doesnt suit Indie styles and if I was playing Indie tracks in a concert I wouldn't choose it but it still really good to practice with in my room with either a 15 watt practice amp or a 35 watt amp. It suits many stills but I would stick to classic rock, punk, hard rock, rock n roll and grunge because it plays well slightly distorted with full middle and treble but a little less than halfway with bass and if you want reverb or distortion or wah pedals it works really well with it. It not too noisy and as I said distortion, treble, middle, reverb soung good full with a bit of bass. Playing classic riffs sound rich with a background band and play well in power ballads and guitar solos. tapping is okay but bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides sound great for soloing. But overall a good variety of sounds.

I play rock n roll/hard rock and the guitar is perfect for me and if it were stolen as soon as I had enough money I would buy it again. I use a jim Dunlop strap that says: police line do not cross and the end bits suit the strap buttons perfectly. I use a bheringer distortion pedal, a 15 watt internet bought practice amp, a strong 35 watt concert amp, two 3m black leads and a 9m brown one, a Daphon wah pedal, thick, heavy picks, staploks and Gibson brite wires. I looked for many other SGs, flying Vs, les pauls and this one came to my attention for it's good looks origional finnish, great playing ability and the amazing fretboard.

It's strong and will withstand Live playing but I recomend a straplok. I have used it every day since may 2009 and the only thing gone wrong is one of my high e string brock and the jack input screw falling off. Strap buttons solid and in fine order but when playing Live use a straplok. I would use it in a gig but I would have a backup because once I was playing a particularly long gig and a string broke at the beginning but I think that was because the string was old and cheap. I recommend Gibson brite wires they last long and if I put on all six new brite wires before a concert I wouldn't bother with a backup.

All good fit and finnish apart from around the pickups the fabric is a little loose and cut badly but that didn't put me off because it has a really reliable pickup Switch thats steady and well stuck ind ans screwed on tight. the pick guard is bolted on tight abd doesn't move at all and is thick and protects the body from pick scratches. The bridge is a little loose but is easy to fix on and after that its perfect. The volume knobs and tone knobs are fitted securely and stay at the place there turned and don't move when accidentally flicked. The jack is not too tight so may need ajusting before the screw falls off. Strap holders are good but the one at the end of the body is kind off loose, the other one is at the metal plate on the back the holds the neck in. Machine heads are fine, normal.

It has 22 frets and all of them are easy to access with minimal effort. It has a quite fat neck but is still easy to hook your thumb over the top for playing chords with a louder, strong sound a chords such as: D -200232- instead of -xx0323- it has a stronger more powerful sound. Mine has an alpine white finnish and looks really origional but it's hard to see the craftmenship of the devil-horn cutaway. Its a SG body that has a pick guard that covers underneath the strings and out the other side unlike some Epiphone or Gibson SG guitars that just cover one side. A Tune-O-Matic bridge that has an end bit the an small gape of strings then where the strings end so it gets a whammy bar sound when you play a not then push up and down on the bit if string inbetween the two bridge parts. It has a 3-way selector Switch (treble, rythm, middle) thats by the four sound knobs ( two volumes for the two pickups and two tone knobs) that is easy to change in the middle of a gig, song, recording but isnt as easy as any les paul style because it's the other side of the guitar. it has two open coil pickups that have great sound punk, blues rock n' roll.