G-310 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: somewhere in California

It suited perfect what I was looking for at the time for the bucks I had. I was looking for a 2 humbucker guitar, with 2 tone, 2 volume, classic Gibson's layout. I wanted a Les Paul Standard, and this one was a good choice for a beginner. You may feel strange yourself if you are a beginner with a pro guitar, knowing that you can't still get propper stuff out of it. After playing around with the screw for a while I got the sound I wanted, or maybe I got used to that sound I got, but still now, I would like to tune guitars that way. No matters what, after almost 20 years, you get a sound you can recognize as yours. The sounds were really nice, although compared with a Gibson. Volume and tone were crunchy when adjusting. Away from that, the guitar performed ok suporting my partner's Epi Les Paul Custom, and later a very nice 99' Gibson Les Paul Classic with ceramic humbuckers. With propper tunning I could get out a very fat sound that could emulate some jazzy stuff, but its more suitable for hard rock, punk, as I used it in my firsts bands, then I got more sophisticated, but the guitar is still the basic thing I like from a guitar, at the end there are only to kinds of guitars, Fender, Fender-like, or the Gibson, Gibson like, and I have always liked the Gibson design, feel and configuration, even in an M3, I feel strange with a strat, its a matter of taste, both musical and how the thing feels and looks on you.

The guitar was not my first option but was what I could get for the money, I was in fact looking for a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but with time I knew that SGs were more suitable for me. When you buy your first guitar first thing is how much you got, then, the options are there. It was not a super cheap guitar back then, as now is. It was a cheaper option for a G400, which had a glued joint. This one has a bolt in neck body, which is the reason is cheaper, and the guitar's bigest problem. If you are about to start and you wanna make some noise on a budget figure, go and get it.

I thought it was not gonna make it to the second year due to the not well resolved construction of the body-neck. But is still here! So, I guess is reliable enough. Not for stage, but I have used it... And is for playing and playing till your fingers burnt, it looks impressive as well when you are 14 and your friends are with a huge collection of anonymous guitars, it says something, that you like other stuff and how the guitar looks, in red is really nice. Its after your second buy, your second guitar, for sure.

The set up was horrible although Gibson said each Epi was adjusted by US guys... That was not true I guess. That year model had non expoused coils, so you could actually raise a lot the humbuckers to the strings by playing with them and the bridge. The hardware was of less quality than that of today's models which are more gibson-like. Away from that, the tuners were of very good quality, making the guitar been tuned for enough time. The finish in red and the paint are still there, like new, the paint and the quality of the paint were impressive for a guitar in that range or any range. It looks still like new although the thing is almost 20 years old. Three way switch, tone and volume hardware were of very bad construction, crunchy and not reliable; one important thing to notice is that this is a bolt-in body/neck guitar, when the propper thing is to be glued, as the body is not designed for bolt-in. More calibration is required than in a strat/strat like guitar which has a much thicker and stronger area for that. The Strat was thought to be like that, not the SG, but its a budget version though. That issue makes access to the 21 and 22 almost impossible, and some notes do not sound well. The neck feels fantastic and the guitar has a very good feel though, I was long ago thinking of moving to a Les Paul as my partner was doing it, but, when playing with the Custom I felt like I was playing with a guitar that was more about how it looked rather than how it felt, when you get used to the lightness of the SGs and the double cutaway, you don't wanna move back to the classic Les Paul, SGs were born as cheap Gibsons, but soon they got to be a class on their own, they are lightway and practical, you can really go down there, and get a sound out of it, its not cassual that the original model was chossen by Zappa, who was more concern about sound than anything else, and for Angus young, I guess knowing he is a quite small, this guitar type is amazing for feel, weight and access.

Made in Korea 1992 model was my first guitar and I still have it after 19 years. - 22 frets, mahogany body, mahogany neck,dot inlay and rosewood fingerboard - finish is gibson's ferrari red - double cutaway, 67 Standard SG's look - tune-o-matic - Passive elect. - 2 tone 2 volume, three way switch - two alnico humbuckers, non exposed coils.