G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

First thing I'm gonna say is that the sound of this guitar may possibly vary more on the amp(something I found). I use this guitar with a Marshall MG15DFX, EHX Small Clone chorus, EHX Big Muff Pi and a Boss DS-1 Distortion. It doesn't sound absolutely 10/10 through my setup but isn't the worst. I have tried it through a Blackstar HT-5 and it sounded brilliant. I'm sure it will sound just as good through any tube amp. I've got a short story to tell about my G310. One day me and my brother were fighting and it was on a stand in the corner. My brother knocked it off the stand and it just fell face first to the floor. There was a massive crack between the headstock and the neck. I glued it back on with trusty Gorilla glue and it did work. So I do still have it with the headstock glued on. It may of effected the sound and resonance of the guitar but it still plays fine. Anyway, it isn't a bad sounding instrument with some brilliant sounds for a beginner guitar.

It's been through some battles over the last couple of years and has held out well. I have this and a Squier Strat, and also a Fender CD100CE acoustic, both of which I did a review on. It has some good tones and covers a range of styles. It looks a bit gothic maybe, but it still looks nice. If anyone was stupid enough to take my battered G310, I probably wouldn't buy another as I am a progressing guitarist and am buying more expensive guitars now. To make it more useful for other styles, I wish it had a coil split, so you can do single coil stuff, making it that bit more versatile. Overall, some good sounds, easy to use and also reliable.

Judging from the incident, it is a reliable guitar. Everything's sturdy on the guitar and possibly more sturdy than some of the Fender and Squier hardware. Nothing's ever come off except from when I trod on the lead and the Jack input come out. The tuners hold out well and despite the broken headstock, still keep the guitar in tune 99% of the time. Strap buttons aren't moving anytime soon, as the Alder body is really solid, I stand up most of the time with it and the strap buttons haven't moved or come loose for over 2 years now. I would use this guitar live and probably will do in the future but would bring another guitar (probably my Strat). Not because I don't trust it, it's just it doesn't suit every style and the 2 single coils and humbucker in my Strat can do much better at some of my songs, while the G310 does exceptionally well with heavier stuff. The finish is quite thick, and hasn't shown any signs of wearing at all. Still looks the same as it did from day one. A Nice and reliable guitar.

The action from what I can remember was just standard-wasn't low, wasn't high, just inbetween, and it still is now. I have never modded or had this guitar setup so it is all standard. The pickups were just slightly adjusted probably in the shop. The bridge pickup was closer to the strings than the neck pickup. I've left this as it is as I mainly use the bridge pickup. Everything was fine on the guitar, but Epiphone have been known to screw up in the factory before, so no guarantee that yours will be the same. I have recently been noticing some buzz from the high E, B and also sometimes the G string when you hit them quite hard. Not sure what this is. Epiphones are genuinely well made guitars and everything was fine when I bought it.

I've owned this guitar for over 2 years and it is a great beginner/intermediate guitar.It was made in 2008 ans it's got the standard controls-3 way selector, 2 volumes, 2 tones. It has 2 open coil humbuckers, 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, standard Epiphone tuners, dot inlays, tune-o-matic bridge and some brilliant tones.

DeniaHD
    I play electric guitar for 8 years and I have tried about 30 guitars from random brands. Well this one is quite good. The sound with the stock PU's is not the best..but if you put gibson, EMG, or SD, It will be wonderful. That baby is a bit heavy, but still is great. Really great for gigs and practice. By the way, if you're a beginner... check out some schecters. If you "just want to get a guitar" just do it!! It's fun,and if you change some things it will be just perfect!
    muzik-matt
    I bought it 2 week ago, and i love it !! It sound really good on a marshall 30FX ! For playing some Ac/Dc, Mest it's perfect ! Hard to play with a strap but i don't care. It's different playing with this than a Les Paul but thats okay.
    TheDealer
    I can't decide between a few of these epiphone Sg's. The g310, the sg special, the sg express, or the sg junior, which will last longer, is the most versitale and has the best sound? I want a new guitar, but i am kinda low on cash. Your opinion is much appreciated.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    I am somewhat of an collector of epi SGs...i just bought my sixth today, a G-310, for fifty bucks, used, black in great condition, no issues yet. I have another black G-310, SG-400s in gloss cherry, worn cherry and worn brown and my prize a tony iommi with Gibson USA pups. (I have Gibsons, too, but not SGs - a faded paul, faded V and '85 explorer to compare epi pups vs american pups.) Since alot of the useful banter on here was about 310s vs. 400s, a few points: 1 ~ yes, 310s are better balanced, definitely dive less than 400s, and they feel beefier and sturdier. 2 ~ thicker heel on the 310 due to the bolton neck makes very little difference in my soloing, still easier to reach the highest notes than on a single cutaway. 3 ~ Pups are NOT the same, just uncovered. 400s have alnico classics which are more Gibson-like, better articulated, less brassy, more creamy. Please note: Gibson pups sound better than either epi's pups, and Gibsons feel and play better. it's not just the name, folks. 3 ~ price difference new between worn-finish 400s and 310s is only 50 bucks and for the extra 50 - in addition to better pups and covers - you get a natural wood finish, mahogany body instead of alder, set neck instead of bolt-on, Gibson-like trapezoid inlays instead of dots and for the love of Gibson, Grover tuners instead of knockoffs (like, that's not worth an extra Ben? Cmon!)....downside is balance, rectified by a fatter strap with suede on the bottom or putting the button on the horn (risky!) like the Tony Iommi model. Overall, I'd go with the 400s, its alot more for just 50 dollars. Another 50 (350) gets you the gloss cherry 400 which looks exactly like the $2000 Gibby '61 reissue. That doesn't mean the 310 isn't worth $250. It is. But the 400s are $500 guitars they are selling for $300-350. I agree with the snobs...why sled a $250 guitar with $100 pups? But its actually worth it to sled your $300 or $350 SG-400 with Gibson pups, buy 'em used from some emg/duncan/dimarzio swaphead and your 400 will shred through the glass ceiling into gibson heaven for a song! PS..One other thing i always do with my epis...i replace the trussrod cover with $3 ones that say GIBSON (like they used to be) from eyguitarparts.com.