G-310 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Epiphone: G-310

Purchased from: local music store

I usually play rock, grunge, punk, alternative metal. The distorted sound with full gain is perfect - really dark, heavy and gloomy. There is no unwanted noise. You can reach a great tone for solos using the bridge pickup and a rock&roll style with the neck pickup. But when only you want to play blues, jazz, funk etc... Please, don't even think about it. G-310 sounds awfully on clean - muddy and without clarity. If you're a Hendrix, Frusciante, SRV fan, forget about this guitar (but I suppose Fender fan wouldn't even look at this SG).

Epiphone G-310 isn't a versatile guitar, so if you're planning to buy it as the first axe in your life and you're not sure what kind of music you're going to play, look for another guitar. But if you've already decided to play hard rock or metal and don't want to spend too much money - take G-310, a real 'overdrive demon' (however, I would rather buy Schecter Omen 6 - it's a very nice guitar, that looks absolutely GREAT, especially in 'electric blue' colour, and only a little bit more expensive)! But remember to look at this Epiphone carefully and check, if it has any defects. I wish I had done it before buying my Epiphone! The neck is very thick, so if you have small hands, it may be uncomfortable. But it can also be a good feature - your palm doesn't get tired so fast. After almost 2 years of playing G-310 I suppose that I wouldn't buy this guitar again, if it was stolen. My music taste has evolved a bit, maybe that's why. Anyway, this axe compared f.e. to my friend's cheaper Squier Strat, has plenty of flaws. On the other hand, SG has the most beautiful shape you could ever imagine and the black, glossy finish is so elegant and 'naughty' at the same time - amazing!

The worst thing about gigging a SG is a really big weight of this guitar and the neck, that is really heavy (problems with balance). That's why playing standing is quite difficult. The strap buttons look solid, I don't try to be crazy on stage, jump, run etc., so I think they will last for some years. Once I've bumped the headstock into the cupboard and there's only a little, almost unvisible scratch. However, I don't use G-310 as my first guitar, it's usually a backup.

When I bought this guitar, the action was terrible - really high but it didn't reduce buzzing at all. I had to adjust the bridge and also replace the nut after one month. All the frets were sharp and sticked out of the neck. The pickup selector was loose and a little bit noisy. The fingerboard... Well, it started to damage after three months (despite taking care of it). When my friend saw my SG three month after the purchase, he was sure it was bought as a used guitar, not as a new one! Anyway, I love the knobs- they seem to be very solid and are made of good quality plastic (not like in Strats). There was nothing wrong with the body.

Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets, 2 humbucker pickups, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2 tone knobs, 2 volume knobs, 3-way pickup selector, 3-ply pickguard. My G-310 has a beautiful, black, glossy finish.

sazista
    I have had Gibson SGs, have a 2002 Special now, but my G-310 is much more comfortable and sounds great. The plus that the Gibson has is that it is lighter and the pickups are cleaner/brighter, though this doesn't mean too much for me. I have been playing since 1980, so I've been around the block. My 310 was made in Indonesia 2011, and from what I understand, was a good year in that plant. It has a THIN neck, which I love. My Gibson does not, which I hate. It feels like my old 1980 SG standard. It rocks. I play rock, blues, punk, Middle-Eastern fusion, etc. It does it all. The other Epi 400s have never impressed me yet -- too fat.
    Vision666
    I bought this guitar 2 years ago as my first guitar based on positive reviews here, now after 2 years of playing all i have to say this is an horrible guitar, pickups are junk it doesnt stay in tune and is just very bad guitar. I am glad finally got rid of it sold it for 50$. So in short DONT BUY THIS GUITAR!!!!!