G-310 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-310

For 250, it sounds pretty damn good, the pickups are extremely versatile. I've used this on a small selection of medium range Orange, Marshall and Vox combo amps. Keep one thing in mind though, anyone who knows what good tone is will not find it with this guitar, for 250, it's a 0, but on the grand scale of things, it's a 2.

I play Progressive Rock and Punk, it sounds fine, but it could be a world better. I wish I'd gone with something even lower end, I could have but the extra cash I put on this one towards my second guitar. If stolen or lost, I would probably forget about it, since I have a Gibson. I love it's looks, and like it's tone. I hate how bad it was out of the factory. If you buy this, keep in mind, modding it will make it pretty awesome. I know a dude who tossed some Duncans and a new tone switch into it, and it's on par with a low end (faded) Gibson.

Stock, the cable plug was completely screwed. If you even slightly move the cable, it cuts out. On top of that, the nut used to secure the plug came off after a week. I was pissed, but it wasn't that big of a deal, I got it fixed for 6 bucks when I got it set up. The tuners and bridge hold a tune pretty well, but they'll obviously be out done by anything on the high end of things. The strap buttons suck, and because of the bolt-on neck, I'm prevented from using strap-locks, duct tape was my friend in this situation. I would use this guitar ONLY with a backup, but I also rely on this one as a backup.

The guitar's factory set up was pretty much f'd. The action was higher than the dude who set it up in the factory when he did this. The pickups were insanely close to the strings. The neck was screwed up. I don't trust myself with truss rod adjustments and intonation, so I paid 20 bucks to have a professional do it. After the set up, I'm willing to say it's on par with a guitar that has a significantly better price point. The finish was fine.

- Body: mahogany - Neck: mahogany, bolt-on - Scale: 24.75" - Neck Profile: Slim-Taper "D" - Nut width: 1.68 - Fingerboard: rosewood, 22 fret - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Neck Pickup: 650R humbucker - Bridge Pickup: 700T humbucker - Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic - Tailpiece: Stopbar - Controls: Neck pickup 1-Volume, 1-Tone, Bridge pickups 1-Volume, 1-Tone with full-size 500K O potentiometers - Hardware: Nickel - Tuners: Premium die-cast - Color: Ebony (EB), Red (RE)