G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Local music store

The guitar body and neck are very good quality and sound great, the real fault here is the pickups. The neck humbucker is muddy on its own, and too low output compared to the bridge. It doesn't have very much "bite" and tends to get lost in the mix. The bridge humbucker is the opposite, it has too much treble and twang to it for a Gibson type guitar. The bridge tone is overly trebly, sterile, and harsh. It sounds best with both pickups blended together. The guitar is pretty decent for old school rock and roll, but don't expect a miracle. It sounds good for things like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. If you crank the distortion, you can get an AC/DC type tone, but the sound isn't as crisp as you might want. This guitar also makes a decent blues guitar.

Overall, good match for classic rock. Pickups are weak, definite negative aspect there. If it were stolen, I'd probably go pick something else up on eBay. eBay is awesome. The finish/wood is nice, I like that. The pickups need to be replaced, and the tuners are kind of shoddy imo. Good beginner guitar.

This thing is built like a tank. I've bashed daily and it seems nice and solid even after a few years of abuse. I'd use it at a gig without a backup (though of course I'd prefer not to). Finish is great.

The guitar store I got it from sets up all the action and junk before selling the instrument, so all that was fine. The finish was excellent, it's all dinged up now, but that's my fault. Durable finish, it's taken alot of bashing. All the hardware is great, but I replaced the tuners, the stock tuners always drifted out of tune on the G and D strings. I have some Grovers (Mini's) on there now. Everything on the guitar is put together well otherwise. When I first got the guitar the three way toggle and the neck HB crapped out on me, but I got new ones free under warranty. Still, the fact that the electronics were so bad brings it down a few points.

chubb666
    lol $15 for a macdonalds???? erm no, its like 2 for a meal. add another 1 and get an extra large. also its worth noting that we owned you and by process your english, just with a silly accent and a territorial mentality
    blacksg
    OMG!!!! shut the **** up about this the bottom line is, the guitar is not as good as a gibson (obviously) but it's not a bad beginners guitar, and you can't expect to all of them to be the same, one might go out of tune and the other might never go out of tune....and u can't hate americans becuz of what they say, becuz not all americans say the same thing...for instance, you will only here the word "dude" in california, maybe sum other west coast states but never on the east coast. and that guy may shoot himself for saying stuff like but then again, if it really pisses u off that much that you would say stuff like that, then go ahead shoot ureself cuz no one cares! and before you start asking, i am american, im from california and i dont give a rats ass wut u say about me! this guitar is still good so if ure a beginner BUY IT!!! cuz its a HELL of alot better then a squier
    because is spelt "B E C A U S E" not becuz, you silly american **** wit
    Zupertiger
    I've been playing for about 6 years and I can say that THIS IS A GOOD GUITAR no matter what other people say. You can't say that a certain model sucks, because all guitars are individual in sound, feeling and so on. My guitar stays in tune for example. Maybe the pickups sound a little bit dull, but if you change them you will end up having a good and versatile guitar!
    niker
    I bought a g400 two months ago and its excelent. I am from argentina and i am sure no one from anywhere would buy a guitar here! my g400 cost me $1400 argentinian pesos. Like 480 american dollars and i dont know if that kind of price is high in usa but here is like buying a great guitar at a very high price. This is my second guitar and i love it. It sounds great and it nevers comes out of tune. It is just GREAT!! i love it
    chubb666
    i got mine for 0. birthday present. it kicks ass and the only time i have had a problem with it was when i dropped my lead on it by accident and put a small dimple on the guitar. been playing it for a year now and it hasnt pissed me off.
    Marco89
    I have an older model with the SG standard pickguard, the bigger one. Looks nicer to me, but the newer ones sound and play better. The pickups realy sucked first. Replaces them for 500t and Iommi Signature. Rock n roll..!!
    ch715dallat
    someone please tell me wot is goin on the G310 got a higher rating than the G400 is it better or are people just being harsh on this guitar
    PyroPlegic
    i quite like the smaller scratch plate than the full one...the smaller one shows off more of the nice wood and paint job....
    chubb666
    i liek the smaller pickguard aswell. i would consider putting some seymour duncan pickups into the bridge pickup. and as far as the G310 is concerned i would sya this is better but all guitars are differnet arent they?
    slash_rocks2005
    my G-400 is a jem lemme tell ya for $450 its exactly wut u want from a guitar and more. of course u can always upgrade pickups...epiphone isn't known like gibson for having the best stock pickups. but the wiring and set neck and good pickups and everything else is just perfect for the value....