G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Music Plus

This guitar sounds great through almost any amp if you want to play any sort of rock and metal, because it has a full sound. It won't cut through too well on clean channels, I keep turning the treble on my amps up to 10 and wishing it went up to 11. Great for a distorted sound, not so good otherwise. There's almost no noise from it no matter how much fuzz I put it through.

I play blues/rock styles mainly. This is good for songs that need a bit more power in the guitar than my Fender can deliver. I have been playing guitar for a long time, and this was the first electric guitar I bought. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would buy another one if I can afford it (I know anyone can get one cheaper than I did). I chose this guitar ahead of a Burns Brian may replica and a Fender tele, it just felt like a better quality guitar. The only thing I don't like is the balance. The neck outweighs the body so if you let go of the neck it will flop down towards the floor. Other than that it's a great guitar.

This guitar has survived some heavy metal rehersals where it has been severely bashed and still has no damage, not even to the finish. Stays in tune well, and is very reliable. I don't have a backup for the rich tone this guitar has, and hopefully I won't need one, I would take this guitar alone to a gig if it was all I needed.

The setup of the guitar was ok, although I had to fix the intonation, it was set very sharp making the guitar sound out of tune on the higher frets. The finish on the fretboard is very rough, but nothing major is wrong. After a while the pickup selector got very noisy but this was just dust in it that was easily fixed. apart from those things it was perfect.

The particular guitar I'm reviewing is a 2004 Korean G-400. It has like most SGs 22-frets and a rosewood fretboard. The thin body makes the guitar a little too light because the neck weighs the whole thing down, that's the only negative thing I have to say about it really. The controls are simple, a 3-way selector to switch between 2 humbuckers, and 2 volume and tone controls. A simple but effective config. I even managed to blag a gig-bag, although this wasn't meant to be included.

jthm_guitarist
    Which is better: this G-400 or a Vintage G-400? Because they seem exactly the same (except for the finish, of course.) Is there any difference between the two besides the look?
    highway61
    slash_rocks2005 wrote: my G-400 is a jem lemme tell ya for $450 its exactly wut u want from a guitar and more. of course u can always upgrade pickups...epiphone isn't known like gibson for having the best stock pickups. but the wiring and set neck and good pickups and everything else is just perfect for the value....
    i swopped the stock pickups out of mine after a a year for Gibson 57' classics and it sounds fantastic. in my opinion sounds better than the standard Gibson SG, mainly because i'm not a fan of the 498T/490R they come with, but sounds closer to the warmer vintage tone of the SG 61 reissue