G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: McCormack's glasgow

As I mentioned, the pickups are kinda weak, but the mahogany makes up for it. It's not noisy in the slightest, with quite a nice warm tone if you set it right. I'm using a spiderII 15 and a Crate GLX 212, and it's sounds great on some settings, rubbish on others. It was meant for distortiom, but you can get some nice cleans out of it. I am hoping to replace he pickups with some duncans or the actual Gibson pickups, just to increase verstility.

Been playing 2 years, one year with this and the Spider, and kit has yet to disapoint much. I play from a bit of jazz and blues to metalcore and it works well with them most of the time. Wish it had come with a hard case and better pickups, but for 169 you can't really complain. If it was stolen, I would get it again if I was short on cash, but if I had enough I would probably get a Gibson SG GT as it has the strap locks, the push-pull coil taps and the Gibson pickups. Great guitar for the price though, worth how much I paid and maybe a little more.

This thing is built like a bloody tank, I've hit it off walls, dropped it, accidentally put a thin scratch on it with a screwdiver when sorting the bridge and played the living daylights out it, and it sounds just as nice as when I got it. I'm going to get some proper straplocks as, although the buttons are solid, the positioning makes it easy to slip the strap off. I have played with it at school shows and exams, and it held up well. I don't believe in using any guitar without a backup at a proper gig, but I would for just now as it is the only decent guitar I have. Bit of oxidation on the stopbar, but only noticable right up close.

Finished well, no flaws on it when I got it, everything was how it should be. A couple of the saddles were sharp, but that sorted itself out with a different guage and brand of strings. All the hardware was good, the grovers were a plus. I had to adjust the bridge a little as the action was pretty high, but no major flaws.

Nothing spectacular here, was hand-made in China in 2004. It has Grover tuners, it doesnt't go out of tune easily, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar, all mahogany body and set neck with a rosewood fretboard. 22 jumbo frets with trapeziod inlays plus jumbo frets. However the alnico V pickups I feel are average, they are good but a bit too weak and muddy sounding. Nothing feels too flimsy, but one of the caps on the tone pots came loose and is wobbly, which needs fixed. Overall I was impressed because of the price.

Edodee
    Just bought an Epi G400 (Cherry, from Feb,06)) with the VOX AD30 Valvetronix. I tell ya, the guitar is deadly! Especially with this amp. A nice x-mas gift for myself (hehehe)and it only cost me a total of 550 euros with case, strap etc. (My wife wasnt to happy about it though) I play the strings for about 15 years now and believe me, Epiphone make good quality guitars the last few years. Nowadays they are made in the Gibson Qingdao Plant in China. So relatively they can keep the productioncosts low without losing the quality. Its a long way to The Netherlands where i was made, but Gibsons taking good care of their baby. So if youre thinkin about bying this guitar, go to your local shop and try it out yourself.
    kevtitian
    ummm yea this guitar is "awesome". i wud get a gibson but dont wanna spend $1100. so this is definantly good enough 4 me. i love this guitar. i got the black 1 and it is beautiful. looks exactly like the 1 angus young plays in the donnington show. i play a lot of ac/dc and it souns great. BUY IT!!!!!