G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Guitar world

I play mostly punk rock/emo/indie, and this guitar suited each role. Switch to the treble (bridge) pickup and you get the jumpy, twangy sound found with most punk songs, Switch to the rythm(neck)pickup and you can get a deeper metal/emo sound. I use a Behringer V-AMPIRE LX210 (for those of you Who want to see this amp. And I use the flanger or the tube distortion a lot and it sounds great. nice clean distortion, with barely any feedback and pretty respectable sustain. As for the variety of sounds this guitar can produce, I would recommend any rock genre (for heavier metal stuff, you'll need and effects pedal). One bad thing about this guitar is that it's a pretty poor jazz/blues and country guitar.

I play punk/emo/indie music, this guitar is a great match for my style, and in fact any rock genre. I've only been playing it since november 2006 but I'm sure that this guitar will last me until I'm old enough to get married. I own a Behringer V-Ampire LX210, and since all the effects are built into my amp, I don't own effects pedals/boards. I probably should have bought a new strap to compliment my SG's ebony finish, but that's just a matter of opinion. If my SG were stolen or lost, I would save up for a Gibson SG, but they're basically the same right? I love the fast neck, the lightweight body and the ease of use, I hate how the neck tilts when your not holding onto it, if your playing standing up. When I was first selecting a guitar to buy, my two final options were to either buy a LTD viper or an Epi SG, I chose the SG because of it's versatility and it's ability to perform gig after gig. Plus I really love those pointed horns!

This guitar is good for a intermediate player, who is used to playing at small to medium gigs. Although if you used it at really large gigs, I'm confident it would perform just as well. The hardware is pretty durable, but fingerprint markings are pretty obvious and will pester most guitar players. Also, the neck is heavier than the body. This could be a problem for lead singers, because as soon as you let go of the neck while playing standing up, it'll tilt until it touches the stage. Other than that, this guitar has above average reliability and durability. I would definitely carry this one guitar into a gig without a backup.

The factory set up on this guitar was not as impressive as the guitar. The bridge was too high and the pickups were mismatched. One pickup was too low, the other too high. But other than that factory set up was good. Strings were in good repair, the finish looked even better than it did in the catalogue and not a single trace of damage.

The Epiphone SG400 features 2 alnico class V humbucking pickups, chrome hardware, a set neck and has a mahogany neck and body. The Standard finishes are ebony and heritage/worn cherry. Some other finishes are available but only through custom order.The guitar comes in either "vintage" or "gloss" finishes. My SG was made in Korea (south Korea I hope). This baby has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a neck tilted at an exact 14 degree angle. The guitar comes with an Epiphone instrument cable (and a cardboard box I guess).

TimDD
    Often reads with interest the ho est reviews here and then leaves the forum because of idots who use this forum to argue. ever thought about using some chat program? leaving this forum open for....duh...guitar reviews?
    TimDD
    I honestly believe it is notnthe money spent on a guitar, but the ability of a guitar player to make the guitar sound like a million bucks. Even though it may have nly cost 10 dollars...smiles because he can. www.soundclick.com/timdixon any guitar you here is not made in america.
    xlukex
    for this guitar i payed 129!!! great guitar and highly recommended.
    CORT noob
    Okay, I've been playing for 5 years, and am only 14 so I need a new cheep guitar, would you recommend it?