G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: ebay

This guitar suits what I play down to the ground. I play classic rock, heavy metal and blues, and both rhythm and lead. It can create an excellent distorted sound with my Vox AD15VT amp and the dimarzio pickup. It sounds awesome. The pickup isnt one of those crazy output ones though, so it also sounds ok clean. It best suits classic rock and heavy blues, with its sharp sound. The neck pickup isnt as good as the bridge, in my oppinion, it produces a lot of feedback when there is lots of distortion on, but it does produce a nice, warm, full sound. This allows it to play a very good clean tone, especially when the pickups are combined, so it can play pretty much anything that doesn't need a trem.

It looks nice, plays nice, is very versatile, and I found it very cheap. It is a great guitar but if it were stolen, I'd buy a better one, cos it isnt the best guitar in the world. I have been playing for two years, and this guitar will probably be around for another 10 because I like it so much, but I'll buy a better one soon.

This guitar is very durable. It is always falling over, but there is no dings or anything on it. The finish is there to stay! I would definitely use this at a gig with no backup, because it has nothing to go wrong really. The strap buttons are very solid. They are used a lot and they are never loose, so that wont be a problem. There is no trem so it stays in tune. It actually does this very well. I don't know if the neck pickup would withstand live playing though. it produces a lot of feedback. I would replace the neck pickup before gigging it.

I bought the guitar second hand, so I don't know how well it was set up at the factory, but there were no major flaws, save for one fret that was slightly high. I fixed that and now I have set it to the most unbelievably low action ever! The finish was perfect. The wood is excellent quality and it has unbelievable sustain for such a thin guitar. It had no problems with anything being loose or poorly routed/cut.

It has 22 frets, two humbuckers, one of which (bridge) was replaced with a dimarzio distortion humbucker, tulip tuners, pearloid trapezoid inlays, 3-way pickup selector, 2 tone and 2 volume pots, chrome tunomatic bridge and stopbar tailpeice, mahogany nech and body, rosewood fingerboard, transparent cherry finish and the small SG scratch plate. It would have been better with a floyd rose and 24 frets, otherwise, it's perfect.