G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

This guitar sounds great, especially for its price. I play rock (Alter Bridge, Creed, Green Day, Led Zep) some jazz (in my school's jazz band) and I like to play some blues as well. This guitar, paired nicely with my Spider II 30 amp, is quite capable of all these. On the bridge pickup you get some nice classic rock type sounds and on the bridge you can get nice heavy sounds (Master Of Puppets, anyone? ). The humbuckers really buck the hum. Upon messing with amp settings I found that this guitar is capable of simply beautiful cleans as well as classic SG crucnhy-ness. I highly reccomend replacing the stock strings

This is a great match for my music (rock, metal, jazz, blues). I've been playing for about 2 or so years, and I also own a Squier Strat (this is a lot higher quality) and an Applause Legend and a Carlo Robelli 3/4 guitar. My dad owns an Ovation Legend and a Variax bass and a Steinberger, and since you asked I play Alto Saxophone and suck at trumpet. If it were stolen, I'd cry, then there'd have to be another Noah's ark, then I'd have the two bears I had to bring on the ark to maul whoever stole it. I compared to a used Gibson Faded Special, but it was scratched up a bunch and overall didn't look very good and didn't sound good enough to justify a purchase over this beauty.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing this Live yet (my first gig with will be in less than a week though with my school's jazz band.) The hardware all seems like it would last forever and a day. I can see myself using this without a backup (I never use a backup for jazz band but I might for my band). I reccomend srtap locks, but that doesnt't stop the top-heaviness and if you don't hold on it might stage dive to the floor.

Such a beautiful tone of cherry red, a lot darker and sexier than in the internet pictures. Unfortunately, it gets fingerprints rather easily with it's glossy finish. The action was nice, pretty low not too low, and the pickups are adjusted well. No scratches yet, although this thing is a dust magnet.

The G-400 was made in China, with 22 jumbo-frets and two-humbuckers. It pays to mess around with the 4 tone and volume knobs to find a great tone. It has a Tune-o-Matic bridge and SG double-cut body. It has grover tuners but I'm not sure if they lock or not. I paid 300 dollars, but it was actually supposed to be 400 but they forgot to change the sale sticker so they just gave it to me for 300. Unfortunately it came with no accesories (barring the cruddy cable it came with).

tristboyer
    i got a Ibanez GAX 30 in '05's X-mas and was thinking of getting the g-400. DO you guys think it's a good upgrade? i play alot of punk.