G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: ebay

I play mostly heavy/bluesy music, in the style of neil young (when he plays electric) or a times like Black Sabbath, but also more proggy feels (i.e. King Crimson, Yes) pr indeed in the style of my fellow soutphaw and dude of dudes, Jimi Hendrix. This guitar suits me perfectly as even when distorted to within an inch of it's life, it doesn't lose it's clarity, and the sound is never muddy, you can also get jazzier textures from the treble pickup if you roll back the bass on your amp, I play with a small 15 watt 'Nevada' amp. Altogether very nice and varied for most musical styles.

As I have said before, it is a great match for my many styles of music, and is a perfect first guitar, with the only real problem being it's neck heaviness, I would certainly buy it again, but if I lost it, I would be heart broken as it is my pride and joy (it (she) even has a name: Maria). I could have bought an Epiphone les paul, but I thought this looked cooler (devil horns) and sexier, as well as being cheaper (an important factor seeing as I am left handed). In the future I will probably get a stetsbar whammy bar for it, and perhaps replace the pick-ups with and emg 81 and 85, and perhaps a metal pickguard, ultimately it is great and is a joy to play, you should definately go for it.

This guitar definately would withstand some serious Live playing, and it has stayed perfectly in tune through some rather rough jamming sessions. The hardware should last until I die (if no longer) and the strap buttons are fine too. the finish hasn't worn off at all, but as I have said before there are a few scratches in the finish. I would probably use it at a gig without backup as it is my cherished possesion and I trust it, but I might buy a cheap Vintage SG or a les paul or maybe and Epiphone G-310, just to be on the safe side.

I though it was perfectly set up, as the action was great (perfect for some sexy, psychedelic bends). The frets were really playable and it is very comfortable to play with. However, there were a few scratches in the finsh, but these were negligable. The only real problem was that it is slightly neck heavy, so I have had some close calls when I've let go of the neck without thinking! The hardware was perfectly set up and incredibly durable, and once I bough a non-slip rubber pad for my strap the fact that it as neck heavy was not a problem.

My guitar was made in Korea in the UnSung guitar factory, it has 22 jumbo frets, it has a double cutaway body and a tune-o-matic bridge, with 2 passive alcino V humbuckers, it has a 3-way selector (rhythm, treble and neutral) for each pickup there are seperate volume and tone controls. It also has sperzel tuners. When I bought it, it came with a strap and a gigbag. There were a couble of small scratche in the finish, but nothing too bad.

mjj4
    sggod01 : adamshakermaker wrote: tasty licks wrote: Everything is too expensive in England. I'd expect to get raped and pay way more for a guitar, considering a meal at macdonalds costs you like 15 dollars. If I lived in england I'd still buy guitars on ebay from the US and beg to have them shipped. Still end up cheaper I'd say. No wait, if I lived in England I'd shoot myself because using the word 'wanker' would cease being funny.... and it rains too much. Its better than saying 'Awesome!' all the time and that 'rocks!' or that 'sucks!'. God no wonder everyone hates Americans, awesome! America dusn't suk, it fuken rox, and i'm australian, i have no association with america, u suk, have u ever watched euro vision, my friend sed he'd have a sip of beer every time a pommy whinged, and he fuken died be4 the first ad brake, lol, seriosly tho, no offence 2 any1.
    adamshakermaker you are a legend and i totally agree and sggod01, uh yeah id listen to what adamshakermaker said... look at you there saying "suk" and "rox" lol? your cool mate arent you now? and dont be such a racist c**t oh and last thing, when the bloke in the guitar shop who was SELLING you an epiphone, hes bound to say its better than a gibson isnt he? never heard of how sales men work? moron
    mjj4
    sggod01 : be4 the first ad brake
    1. its before not be4 2. its break not brake you dumb f**k*ng tw*t, brake is one of those things in a car that slows you down idiot. break is a pause in time or when something gets broken... do you know anything? i you should learn to spell and learn what words mean before you come and leave pathetic comments on here. g'day mate f'off pric
    Andy.C
    I recently brought mine for 199 from Andertons Music Store. It just shows that you can get an excellent guitar without spending hundreds of pounds. (Or dollars)