G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: east gosford music

I play everything from jazz, country, blues, rock, metal and so forth and let me tell you this guitar obliterates all of them effortlessly. I am very fond of the classics and acdc being on of my favs I raised the bridge and neck pickup very close ( very, very close) to the strings to give the guitar more "attack" and "rawness". I play through a Marshall MG100DFX and this thing screams, I also have a pedal board equipped with a bodd ds1, Boss bd-2, and boos ge-7 and sounds great through that as well. The guitar does not give out any unusall sounds and can purr or growl depending on what mood you are in.

This guitar is a great match for all kinds of music and I have been playing for two years and have tried a lot of guitars and own a Gibson SG Standard and this guitar comes close to it's Standard and definatly beats is for the quality to price ratio. I love the finish of the quitar and the scratchplate and would definatly buy it again if it were to be stolen or lost. I compared this guitar to the ESP line of vipers and this one "shreds" all over them. The only thing I wish this guitar had was fret binding but for the price I'm not worried. Keep up the supurb work Epiphone and buy this guitar.

This is where the guitar will lose a few points for me but don't get me wrong it's a great guitar. The nuts on these guitars do need tobe changed to bone or graphite in the future for after a couble of string changes the nut is worn down which results in fret buzz, I switched the nut for a bone nut and not only did it improve buzz it also improved the sound by a lot more than I was expecting. Also the neck on this axe after around about 3 months of playing (keep in mind I play around 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day) the neck bent out of shape and although I was disapointed I sent it in to get fixed and the frets were planed off to make a extremly flat surface and tell you what this guitar has the lowest action I have ever seen on any set neck instrument. I would gig this guitar but still have a backup (Murphy's law, if you only bring one chances are it will fail). The paint job and hardware will last and the straplock buttons are ok although locking buttons would turn out better.

When I recieved the guitar it was set up quite well from the factory (low action and a little neck bend) but I quickly set it to my standards which improved the playablitity by a long shot. The guitars finish is flawless with only a minor problem at the top of the bottom horn where the paint was applied thinly, but besides that "great!" The people at the Epiphone factories have really got it downpat on how to make a cheap quality guitar.

I picked up my guitar for a bargain price. This guitar has 22 frets with trapizoidel inlays on a rosewood finger board. The guitar in particlular was made in 2003 and is in Heritage cherry. It is equipped with Grover tuners, two humbucking Epiphone pickups, which sound great I might add, and also comes with a 5 foot lead and tools for adjustment. The guitar body is made of mahogany as well as the neck, the guitar is very light weighted and would wiegh around half of a Gibson SG it is reasonably well balanced (maybe a little too heavy at the headstock side) and is also a very comfortable instrument to play.

Fambi
    The only real problem was that it is slightly neck heavy, so I have had some close calls when I've let go of the neck without thinking!
    Umm, it's an SG. Of course it's top heavy. I own the Custom version of this guitar (made by Epiphone too) and it is one sweet mamma. The SG Custom has 3 humbuckers, which means it has a really thick, fat sound, at times thicker than my friend's LP.
    jasonkan
    i own an SG-custom as well and its pretty versatile, i think they aren't anything amazing but great for their price range.
    fire within
    forgot to mention in my review but the nut isn't particularly well cut, especially on the g-string where it is off at an angle and affecting tuning stability a bit and intonation. still the grovers on it hold the tune well with this problem
    Murderface x3
    Crotty
    honestly, if you can get a gibson for $550, why not save a little longer and save yourself the trouble of looking like a weener toting around an epiphone. Because you idiot some people are beginners at guitar and this is a good guitar to learn on and is also a good guitar for experienced players as well, and not everyone can afford it