G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Andertons Music

It sounds great clean, it's an Epiphone so naturally you'd expect that when you turn the tone controls nothing would happen. For some reason this isn't the case. I was very pleased with this fact. The Grovers they're putting on them now actually keep it in tune whilst I'm playing so you could say that helps. I have a heavy metal DigiTech pedal (for when I'm feeling angry) and the results are fairly pleasing. Of course rock and blues are where this guitar is most comfortable but you'd be pleasantly surprised at the versatility. The neck is also very very smooth and fast once set up properly.

Don't be put off by the 6 for reliability or the small comments about the setup. These are minor things. The reliability shouldn't matter for Live playing. If you are in a band or if you are a professional musician I'm sure you'd simply buy a better guitar. But for the price and the quality of the finished product I would certainly recommend this guitar to anyone Who is looking for a second guitar. If it was stolen I'd buy another SG just for the sheer playability. It would have to be a Gibson though.

This is where I think this guitar falls down. It feels and looks well made, but because of the design it is very thin. As a result I'm always worried about snapping the neck. I've broken the neck on a Fender Strat before (an accident I assure you)and that seems much more difficult than this guitar. The first thing I did when I got this instrument was hard case shopping. I would use this at a gig, but I'd have strap locks for sure and I'd be very worried. Also I've heard that if it falls from a standing position on to it's back it doesn't really have a chance, this is of course subject to debate.

When I received this guitar I didn't have to do too much to it. The neck pickup was too high by a fraction, but then it doesn't sound nearly as good as it should. The action needed lowering just a tad. The scratch plate was ever so slightly scratched. This didn't bother me as I think the guitar looks much better without it on.

Features solid Mahogany, set neck, rosewood fingerboard, stock pickups. Everything you'd expect from an Epiphone with a bit more (or so it felt). It's a worn cherry SG so it looks beautiful. Two volume, two tone controls. Stock pickups are of course passive, 3-way selector switch. Plus it's a recent model so it came with Grover machine heads rather than those pathetic keystones. Didn't come with hard case, but by God it needed one.

OrangeAfro2
    Woop 150...need better strings tho ideal strings for metal playing anyone?[/quote] good strings for metal ernie ball power slinky nice and top heavy i think they are .10-.50(or maybe .58)