G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: ABC Music

I play all types of music from blues through to hendrix through to classic rock through to hard rock through a Peavey Rage 258. This guitar wasn't really built for blues or hendrix with its mahogany body and humbuckers, which give it a very rich, full sound. However using the bridge pickup and a trebly amp setting I am able to get an ok hendrix tone. What this guitar was really built for though is rock. It's easy to get very good AC/DC and GN'R tones as well as some harder rock stuff like InMe (great band btw), and Alter Bridge. This isn't a shred or metal guitar but it's still possible to get those tones as well. I give it a 9 because it's great at what it does but you can still get good variety.

This guitar is perfect for rock, particularly classic rock but it can do other genres quite well. If it were stolen I probably would buy a different, more expensive guitar. However, if I was given a 200 price range I would definitely buy this again. Overall this is easily one of the best guitars in the price range and a very good guitar for beginners and one I'm very glad I bought.

This guitar is very well built and other than the output jack, the finish (which chips quite easily) and the neck dive which causes the strap to fall off sometimes, but for that I will probably get straplocks. It would withstand Live playing and I would gig this without a backup. The hardware is very well built and would withstand some beating. I would give it a 10 were it not for the little problems.

The set-up was okay out of the box. Inotation was fine but the action was a little high. Because of the TOM bridge, however, it is very easy to adjust and was not an issue. Everything (pickup adjustment, frets, tuners etc.) else was fine. The transparent-ish finish is beautiful but it picks ups small chips and the like easily, but that's not much of an issue. Also, the pickup selector Switch is a little loose but that doesn't matter. The one real issue that I've had is the output jack. The nut wore down quickly and it caused the output jack to fall back into the body of the guitar. With a new nut everything was ok.

My G-400 is a 2007 model, made in china. It has 22 frets, two humbuckers, Grover tuners, a three-way pickup selector Switch and a tune-o-matic bridge. It is made of mahogany. The neck is quite wide but that's what you would expect from a SG-style guitar, however it means that it is not great for shred. I give it a 9 because it has everything that you would expect from a SG-style guitar.