G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Price paid: A$ 599.99

Purchased from: Guitarparadise

I play mostly blues and classic rock and the SG seems to suit my style perfectly, handling most things I play. I'm currently using an RMS G80 with it, but have played through many other amps with it, generally having gain at 12 o'clock - 3 o'clock. The guitar can go from smooth, mellow sort of sounds to bright crunches easily, it's tone knobs are surprisingly sensitive, I was impressed by this. I've played things from Johnny Cash to Megadeth on it and it handles it all pretty well, the cleans on it aren't the best, but I can still cope with it.

As I said before, I play blues-rock mostly and the G-400 really suits it. I've been playing for three years and have only own crappy little eBay guitars before this, but have played various others (Ibanez, B.C. Rich, Gibson, Magnum, Aria etc.) and all in all this guitar seems to hold it's own pretty well. If it was stolen I'd probably get something else, not because I dislike the guitar, but because I'm after another sound. I love how easy it is to access the fret board and how light it is. I hate the fact that it's neck heavy, but beggers can't be choosers. From the other products I compared it to this is definitely one of the best in the price range. This guitar will always have a special place in my heart.

The guitar has withstood a year of my playing, so it can't be that bad. However my main problem is that since the body is so light the guitar is neck heavy. I've dropped it several times and contrary to popular belief the neck didn't break. Hell, the neck seems Bullet proof, however the body has been dented a little. The strap bolt near the neck is definitely the one you have to watch for, not that the bolts bad, but as I said, neck heavy. I'd gig it without a backup in a second, not a problem.

When I first got it the action was painfully low, just about every note was accompanied by fret buzz. Once I raised the action it was great though. The pickups were adjusted fine till I decided "No, I think I'll have to change it" and even after I messed around with the pickups heights it still wasn't to bad. Aside from the action I have absolutely no problems with it's set up at all.

I'm fairly sure it's one of the new models built in Korea, not entirely sure of the year. It has 22 frets and 24.75" scale, with a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fretboard and a cherry finish. It has the double cutaway SG style body, two humbucker pickups made by Gibson, a three way selector with two tone and two volume controls and Grover tuners. I also was given an Epiphone hardcase with my purchase.

Petey9
    blacksg wrote: OMG!!!! shut the **** up about this the bottom line is, the guitar is not as good as a gibson (obviously) but it's not a bad beginners guitar, and you can't expect to all of them to be the same, one might go out of tune and the other might never go out of tune....and u can't hate americans becuz of what they say, becuz not all americans say the same thing...for instance, you will only here the word "dude" in california, maybe sum other west coast states but never on the east coast. and that guy may shoot himself for saying stuff like but then again, if it really pisses u off that much that you would say stuff like that, then go ahead shoot ureself cuz no one cares! and before you start asking, i am american, im from california and i dont give a rats ass wut u say about me! this guitar is still good so if ure a beginner BUY IT!!! cuz its a HELL of alot better then a squier
    I say dude all the time and im on the east coast
    Petey9
    sggod01 wrote:lamb-of-god-666 wrote:This is a good beginners guitar but it always goes out our tune and doesn't have the best tone. Not worth buying if you are experienced.sggod01 wrote: Hey, fuk off, this guitar is a pro's 1, the guy that owned the store where i got mine from sed he'd prefere this over a gibson anyday, gibson are the favoruite just cos the guy who fowndered it sed, let's make a fortune out of just 1 guitar, let's make it expensive so ppl think it's high quality!!!!
    Did you ever think he was just trying to get you to buy it? Thats what salesmen do (they lie)
    Petey9
    mjj4 wrote: sggod01 : adamshakermaker wrote: tasty licks wrote: Everything is too expensive in England. I'd expect to get raped and pay way more for a guitar, considering a meal at macdonalds costs you like 15 dollars. If I lived in england I'd still buy guitars on ebay from the US and beg to have them shipped. Still end up cheaper I'd say. No wait, if I lived in England I'd shoot myself because using the word 'wanker' would cease being funny.... and it rains too much. Its better than saying 'Awesome!' all the time and that 'rocks!' or that 'sucks!'. God no wonder everyone hates Americans, awesome! America dusn't suk, it fuken rox, and i'm australian, i have no association with america, u suk, have u ever watched euro vision, my friend sed he'd have a sip of beer every time a pommy whinged, and he fuken died be4 the first ad brake, lol, seriosly tho, no offence 2 any1. adamshakermaker you are a legend and i totally agree and sggod01, uh yeah id listen to what adamshakermaker said... look at you there saying "suk" and "rox" lol? your cool mate arent you now? and dont be such a racist c**t oh and last thing, when the bloke in the guitar shop who was SELLING you an epiphone, hes bound to say its better than a gibson isnt he? never heard of how sales men work? moron
    Yeah mjj4 I told him the same thing before i read your comment he really is an idiot
    lunchboxturtle
    Jaeschke9
    Its a good all around guitar, but.... Mine has crapped out on me (internally)three times... :/ 8/10 (when its not in the shop)
    jaxin7
    lunchboxturtle wrote: I agree with Anno[fzk]. Why go to all the trouble saving up all that money, simply because the guitar says Gibson? Same with Fenders, but a Fender isnt much more than a Squier. In all honesty, i believe that Ibanez gives you the greatest bang for your buck. Go buy an RG if you're REALLY looking to save money with an awesome guitar. I already have access to an awesome playing squier, I've just always wanted an SG. ...sorry for the novel.
    F*ck yeah! IBANEZ! RG's kick a**! the one i want is too expensive for me though
    kerno1
    i got an ibanez not a cheapy and imn dissapointed with da pickup quality besides that epiphone sg is da bom geetar defietly buy1