G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Absolute Music (Local Retailer)

The guitar has a really nice sound to it, I play through a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60 amp through a Marshall MG412 cab. It gets a nice tone, nearly what I want it's oh so close, I need something just to push it over the edge, which is why I'm getting a Seymour Duncan sh4 for the bridge. As stock it is a really nice guitar capable of some nice sounds, not quite there for my personal requirements, but then I play a lot of hard rock and need pretty high output pickups and the stock doesn't quite give me enough but the guitar in itself can handle anything I through at it from puck to metal to blues rock to really crisp beautiful cleans it can get them if you dial those tones right.

I like this guitar I would personally by an Epi Les Paul Custom if I had to replace or upgrade I just like the feel of a LP but it's great, and I would recomend this to any intermidiate player out there. I've been playing for about 2 years and have quickly upgraded all my equipment and this is still with me after about 8/9 months or more so it must be doing something right!

It's a nice reliable guitar, I rely on it every gig and it's my main guitar, the strap buttons are sollid now, but then I use schaller strap locks so it should be! there are a few dinks which have come pretty easily which is really annoying but then I's kept in a gig bag not hard case so it's my fault!

The finish is quite nice, when I changed the strap buttons to accomodate schaller strap locks they kept on coming loose so I had the holes filled and re drilled by my local workshop but then that cost me only 10 so it's not a bank breaker, the shop set my guitar up for me so it was in pretty good order.

This was made in 2006/7 in the far east China I believe, it has a 22 fret neck typical of most guitars of this type, being a replica of the 1960's SG I believe it most likely has the nice 60 neck but I don't know wether that is unique to gibsons? I haven't played the Gibson so I couldn't tell you. The body itself is the classic SG design featuring 2 passive humbucker pickups and a tune o matic bridge. One of the guitars nicest features is the Grover tuners that really help the guitar stay in tune they work really well, still it does suffer from the good old g string problem as seems to be the case with most my guitars, where the g goes out fairly quickly. No accessories and suprisingly no warranty came with this guitar.

shaofu0424
    i bought an ebony one for my birthday a few years ago... i paid 420 w case out the door... good price at the time... i bought this guitar to play the sh!t out of... it has become my main recording guitar... and held up well... into a variety of tube amps this guitar has a suprising amount of character to go with the playability... using a master volume or non master amp is equally enjoyable and reveals toneful differences in the stock pickups... mine has a lightning shaped sweetspot which runs up the neck and above the 12th fret with an octavia is f'n glorious... gonkin galore... love this into a ac30... the el84s brighten the slightly darker sound... handles sweat well... has a rarity nowadays- good value... SWEET
    shaofu0424
    i bought the ebony one a few years ago for my brithday... i bought this guitar to play the sh!t out of... and it has held up well... in fact, it has become my main recording guitar... with a good setup mine plays like a beast... into a variety of tube amps- master or non- is equally enjoyable- each bringing out subtle and not so subtle differences in the stock pickups... good guitar for those of us who like to ride the volume/tone controls... has a good mid bark at volume... good attack/swell/constrict- quite musical... works really well with el84s- the el84s brighten up the slightly darker sound... el34s have a papery crunch which is quite fun- burning... 6v6s have a lot of body and character with a sweetness- swampy... mine has a lightning shaped sweet spot which runs up the neck and above the 12th with an octavia is f'n glorious... gonk galore... YEAH... handles sweat well... also has a modern rarity- value... the ebony finish on the upper bout has worn to the white primer... looks like a well loved tux... i have more than gotten my money outta this guitar... shes my black witch... my voodoo queen... and i do love my mistress... good fun...
    dav3011
    Crotty wrote: im 13 and i play alot of rock like AC/DC my chemical romance and others. im thinking about getting this guitar or another epiphone in this price range. i'm also worried about who heavy the neck is, does that change any thing????? Help
    i have this guitar and the neck isn't that heavy, it's because the strap is connected behind the body of the guitar and not on top like many others. It's the design of the strap placements basically.
    jshortty1
    Slash_Rulz wrote: ACTUALLY the pound has the highest value, followed by the euro, then the american dollar...sadly the aussie dollar is somewhere after these... :-(
    acually canadian dollars are more than american now