G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Sound Control

This guitar suits some of The Music I play I say some because it can pull off rock riffs and cleans but struggles to achieve a strong metal sound, I currently play the guitar through Vox-AD15VT and occasionally a Dunlop Crybaby wah when needed. The guitar is a little noisy at times but shielding the electronics and giving it a pickup upgrade would probably solve this. The guitar can produce a good variety of sounds, Cleans, Crunchy rock tones, Bluesy tones. But struggles to produce a decent metal tone. With that said this guitar is very much a rock guitar metal heads will be disappointed unless they are going to change out the pickups for some EMGs/Seymore Duncan blackouts.

I play alsorts of music but mainly metal, This guitar is versatile but it doesnt't suit metal that's one style it's only mediocre in I've found. I've been playing around 4 years now and played this guitar 3 of those 4 years and I feel like it's time for an upgrade I'm thinking about buying a Jackson next, I think that will suit my playing a lot better then this guitar. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again, However even though the electronics always break on me, I'd still miss this guitar been around with it's shiny cherry finish and classic "horns" design. I think if I had to list what I loved about it and what I hated about it I'd say I love how it looks and sounds but on the flipside I hate that it can't play metal well and those electronics *shakes fist*. My favourite feature about this guitar has to be that design and finish. I have compared this to many guitars of a simalar price range and just wish I bought a Jackson DKMG for a little more it seems a lot more versatile and those EMG 81/85s... To sum up, this guitar is good for rock and cleans a decent starter guitar however those electronics have put me off buying another Epiphone ever again.

This guitar with a lot of love and some upgrades could withstand gigging. The hardware especially the grover tuners are very robust and none of the hardware has ever broken for me, I only play this guitar sat down really it's more a bedroom guitar for me but it has a strap on and the strap buttons have never come loose when I have used it standing. All sounds good right? Well this is a good guitar and plays very well for rock but the one thing that I really honestly hate about this guitar is the electronics the input jack has come loose from the wiring itself many, many times and it's becoming a ritual that I have to re solder it atleast once a month. My guess is that the poorly placed input jack gets caught on things or knocked and comes loose. For that reason alone I wasn't very impressed by the durability.

The guitar was set up pretty well from the story I'm not sure about the factory setting I think the store set mine up before selling me it. The pickups we're adjusted well as I said before though this was probably the stores handywork. Now the guitar had a few flaws I found the higher frets 20-22 are not very comfortable to play but other then that there was only a few superficial flaws. The tuning pegs (grover tuners) have never failed me once sometimes come loose but that's solved easilly with 3 minutes and a screwdriver. The input jack has come loose and could possibly have caused some of the things I will put in the next section.

The guitar was made in korea 2005/6, It has 22 frets, 24.75'' scale, Mahogany body and set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard, Grover tuners, Tune-o-matic bridge, Passive electronics, 2 volume 2 tone 1 for each Alnico V humbucking pickup. Typical SG "Horns" style body.