G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Price paid: A$ 469

Purchased from: Allan's Music Alexandria

I mostly play blues and metal using this guitar. People looking for Huge gain with these pick-ups will need that to come from a pedal or their amp, this guitar it's great for crunchy sounds through to Standard metal tones without being really overdriven. I play this through an Orange amp and stuff by bands like Cream and Zep is just sublime.

This is a great match for my style of music, it provides the crunchy humbucker tone iv been looking for. Iv been playing now for 5 years and have a Flying V and a Strat, there was something with my V, it just didn't give the tone I was looking for, and this guitar fills that void, and then adds some of it's own attitude. if it were stolen I'd probably buy a Gibson, but that's only because I've wanted one for a while now, that fact doesnt't reflect the quality of this guitar at all. My only dislike is the minor weight issue, the neck tends to want to fall down if ur playing in the seated position, but you get used to it pretty fast. I compared this guitar to a LP in the shop, but in terms of price point vs price, I couldnt go past this guitar, I got it for an absolute bargain, and it's definately real. The only thing I wish this guitar had was a more Vintage looking fret board, but all will come with time.

I haven't had the guitar too long, so I haven't gigged it yet, but it feels light but solid, so Live play shouldn't be a problem. The hardware seems to be in good condition. The strap buttons are well screwed in at the moment, nothing loose. I would depend on this guitar for any gig, but I never gig without a backup, if I had no other choice, it wouldn't bother me, but iv been in trouble before, back ups are beauties. no reliability issues YET! it's still very early days.

The pick ups were great on this guitar straight out of the box, no height adjustment needed. The action was a tiny little bit high, but that was a personal preference thing, I wouldn't have expected a different action off the shelf so I'm happy with what I got. Every thing on this guitar came out just the way I wanted it, except the action straight off the shelf, selector is quiet, bridge well aligned, haven't undone the strings to check how much vibration the tuning knobs cause, but no quandries.

This guitar was made in I believe 2007, in China. It has 22 Standard frets and a scale of 24.75". Solid body guitar, fretboard is rosewood with trapezoid inlays, body is mahogany and the neck is set mahogany. It is the faded cherry red finish which I am a huge fan of, because I love the Vintage look. It has a Standard Gibson style stopbar bridge, 2 alnico humbuckers, neck and bridge, both with individual tone and volume control. single three way tone selector and locking tuners, not sure of the brand.

siverstorm
    since making a review is pointless now seeing as there's like 20 all i'm gonna say is that after a while of playing (3-6 months) everything starts to get a little "loose" one of the tuners started rattling on mine, the jack for the patch cord also began rattling. Now i know thats not that bad because all you need to do to is tighten the rattling parts...but dammn that gets anoying..