G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

I play a variety of Genre's of music and the SG is pretty much suitable for all of it, however it truly comes into it's own in the metal/rock riffs (Sabbath, ACDC, Motley Crue, GNR, etc).I play on a Vox AD30-VT, and it sounds okay, however if you were looking to purchase this guitar and a new amp at the same time, I would recommend looking at an amp from the Marshall/Line 6 family, as the distortion effects and quality on these amps is, in my opinion, better than on the Vox's.

Overall the guitar is suitable for most people either starting out, or gigging in a band. I've been playing for 3 years now, and I've used the iceman's, the les paul's and the Strat's but the SG just screams "I Wanna Rock" over any of these other models, and this model in particular offers unbeatable value for money. I'm completely satisfied, and my next purchase (a Marshall 50watt amp) will probably bring out the beast in this already ballsy guitar even more.

I have no issue in playing Live with this guitar, and I have a backup, (Strat) but would always prefer to use the SG. The body is quite strong, and apart from normal wear on the body from use and gigging, there is not additional damage that would not be expected. the finish is excellent, but does require constant cleaning if you want to keep the guitar looking pristene.

I bought it new, out of a box after testing the floor model instore, and immediatly lowered the action, adjusted the intonation and tightended the headstock pins, as this was not acceptable out of the box. The pickups were height-wise fine, and I've not had to adjust them in any way since purchase. One thing that has me pissed off, even thought some people will argue that it's a bit petty, is that the 4 knobs (2 x volume, 2 x tone) are not on the body straight, and the bottoms of them are not straight, making them look wobbly when you move them. That just seemed not really good, and was a bit dissapointing.

This is a 2006 model, a replica of the 1962 model SG. It offers 22 Frets of rock goodness, and both of the alnico classic humbucking pickups have seperate tonal and volume adjustment knobs. Like most of the SG series it offers a tune-o-matic bridge, which makes changing strings, adjusting intonation and adjusting string height a hell of a lot easier than on my Strat. It is available in a cherry (redish) or ebony (black) finish. It has a mahogany neck glued into the mahogany body, which is shaped in the famous double-cutaway devil horns, and offers quite a low profile body thickness, in comparison to the les paul/explorer etc. The guitar came with a cable for the amp, however like most of these "free cables", it offered a weak tone and was way too short (1.5m) for anything other than sitting ridiculously close to your amp to play, thus causing feedback and other issues. So defiately plan ahead and purchase a deacent cable to use, I use a 6m Fender cable (about $30) and it's red, so it looks awesome with the guitar.