G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: pawn shop

The kind of music I play varies a lot from sublime to led zepplin, to Black Sabbath ect.. This guitar sounds awesome no matter the kind of music played. I play through a Fender G-DEC 30 amp and depending on the kind of music I change the amp settings accordingly. The pickups don't give off much noise unless I have the gain cranked way up on my amp.

For what I play I think this guitar suit's me perfectly, the only other one I would want is my accoustic. I have been playing for a little over a year, and own a squire Strat wich hasn't been used for the longest time, I also own a Takamine EG341C accoustic, and a squire P-Bass. If my G-400 was stolen I would definatly try to get it back, if I couldnt I would definatly get another one, as I jokingly say it's my "poor mans SG". I love the comfort of playing it, the fact it's light but packs a unique sound that is difficult to get with other guitars, the only dislike is the back strap button for reasons I have mentioned above. I chose this guitar cause it caught my eye and basically screamed BUY me when I walked into the pawn shop and it's been my favourite guitar ever since.

As for Live playing I would trust this guitar 100% but that's personal preference. As for a back up guitar I would probably wouldn't need one provided I have a cheap strap lock for the strap button on the back of the guitar. As for the strap buttons the only one to give me a problem is the one on the back of the guitar, it tends to let go and make the guitar nose-dive (happened while jamming with some friends, luckly no damage to the guitar). The finish seems to be durable and will last a long time, and it a beautiful color.

When I got it from the pawn shop I tested it out there and the string set up was amazing, it was really low action, almost to the point of playing by touch. Completely different from my squire Strat. The pickups were set up with the neck pickup low and the bridge pickup high and sounds great. The only flaws I can see is one screw on the pickguard isnt properly seated but that's very minor also one scratch near a tuner, possibly the tuners were changed, but I don't know. One tone knob is loose as well.

My G-400 was made in 2002, in korea, it has Gibson deluxe tuners with the perloid ends. It has 2 humbucking pickups and 2 volume/tone knobs with a 3 way Switch. The body is a transparent red, with the wood grain clearly visable. Typical Gibson set up with the Standard bridge. No other accessories were given with the guitar, the only thing I did was re-string the guitar with the string gauges I prefere to play.