G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Motor City Guitar

The sound on this piece is decent for an SG, can't compete with a Gibson of course but it worked well with the 60-watt Behringer 112X amp I used. It could get some great sounds wiht overdrive ranging from metal to a decent but somewhat drab Acoustic. I also liked how well the electronics could stand up to the multiple effects from the DigiTech RP 150, my friends that I've used with the SG before.

It was a great starter guitar for me and I loved it while I played it but overall it couldn't stand up to a few light knocks. I'm not saying this is a terrible guitar and the neck problems I've had could just be me but overall I would save your pennies and buy an Ibanez, one of the few guitar brands that give quality sound and structure for a decent price.

As I mentioned above the wood on mine at least was compressed to the point of killing the guitar. As far as the electronics go it worked fine as I mentioned in the sound section and I played this guitar on weekly sets for about a year with it standing up to all except a few falls. The faded finish I got is actually more durable than the laminated kind because as I played it a finish formed on it from just running my hand up and down the neck.

The Action was very well set-up fromt the factory low enough for comfort and not buzzy. The pickups needed work which I had someone adjust for after a while. A quick note on the action, I actually forgot to change my strings for over a year (I was still relatively new to guitars, well am) and it still played fine with very little buzz and that only from crappy strings. As far as the bridge all the strings were well routed with almost no mistakes. However it was the wood that killed my good feelings for this guitar. My neck was broken twice on it simply by someone knocking off it's stand a maybe 2 inch drop and falling on carpeted surfaces. The second time it just fell forward and the headstock along with part of the neck was broken off. The reason for this was the fact that the Mahogany wood is compressed making the guitar extremely light compared to say, Gibsons, but in the end take away from the durability and quality of the guitar.

I bought it Brand New in 07. There's a sticker on the guitar that says it was set up and inspected in the US but if I took a guess I'd say it was made in China. It has a Mahogany fretboard It's body was compressed Mahogany with a faded finish and a SG body. It had 2 volume and 2 tone controls and a 3-way selector. It had 2-Alcino V humbuckers non-locking tuners and Standard factory tuners. I bought a case with it that has kept it realtively safe.

Tr!g
    Great guitar for sound (comes very close to an LP!) also with the RIGHT strap, is quite comfortable to play! but it's flawed so badly when it comes to staying in tune.
    BurnzyRock wrote: which is better, the g400 or the les paul
    imo, Epiphone Les Paul Custom (without question!) but dont be put off by what i say, iv owned one for years and cannot find another guitar that suits my style like it. The reason i own a G400 was because out of all guitars i experimented with, that one was VERY close!
    stephenson2
    Ive had this guitar AND the custom version, both times the neck has snapped. its soooo neck heavy its unbelievable - got a nice sound though, and you can reach the higher frets unbelievably easy (:
    Guitar Fetish?
    Excellent Guitar! Fantastic action without buzz. And a finish to die for! Very Fancy. It's all very tight, and seems totally solid. IMO all Epiphones around and above this price are excellent quality for money. They all seem to use the same components, so just get the body shape that suits you.