G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Epiphone: G-400

I play a lot of metal as well as blues, grunge, and a bit of jazz, and this guitar is great for all of them. The neck is very comfortable for me because I prefer medium necks and can't stand the paper-thin necks found on most modern shred guitars. I use this guitar with a Roland Cube 15 amplifier, and a Line 6 PODxtLive and the tones I get are amazing. The guitar doesn't produce any noise even on the high-gain settings. The bridge pickup is great for getting a good rhythm sound on the distortion settings. Palm-muting is tight and full of punch, and the neck pickup gives a very warm sound for soloing. On the clean I like to use both pickups for strumming chords, and for mellow blues the neck pickup is great with tone knob rolled back a bit. For playing classic rock like Zeppelin, I like using the bridge pickup for soloing, it has more bite to it. In general, this guitar is great for everything.

I play mainly play death metal, black metal, thrash metal, blues, and a bit of jazz and classic rock and this guitar. If this guitar were stolen I probably couldn't buy a new one because Epiphone guitars are unavailable where I Live, even if they were, I'd buy a guitar with high-output pickups because I prefer them for metal. In general this is a great guitar and I only wish it had Seymour Duncan pickups on it.

I'm pretty sure this guitar would do well in a Live situation. The hardware definitely needs replacement because the humidity in the basement had a bad effect on it. I would definitely use this without backup in a gig because it's got a fixed bridge which makes string-changing, in case a string brakes, easy. The finish is good, it hasn't aged much with time.

I got my guitar from a friend, and it was in pretty bad condition, but he had left in a basement for a long time so it needed a lot of work, the truss rod need adjustment, the intonation was messed up, and the fretboard was cover with a bit of dirt. All that was taken care of, and the guitar became playable. The pickups needed no modification. The guitar had a few scratches on it, and the tail piece was a bit oxidized but the guitar was still playable.

This is guitar is the Epiphone's version of the Standard SG. It's got 22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays, and it has a 24.75 inch scale length. The guitar has a set-neck construction with both the body and the neck made of mahogany with a cherry red finish. It has a tune-o-matic with bridge with a tail peice, two humbuckers, and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup along with a 3-way pickup selector. The tuners are generic Epiphone tuners but they seem pretty sturdy.