G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

I play Classic rock & 80's hair metal and this guitar seems to be just perfect for my type of music. I'm using my Crate GTD120 combo with it and the distortion on it, just screams with the pickups on this guitar. The pups on this sounds very crisp and bright, even when using a clean setting on my amp. The only effects that I use are the Chorus settings on my amp and it sounds great with this guitar. This is a very underrated instrument.

I had bought one of these over 3 years ago and at the time, I wasn't impressed with it, due to the shoddy workmanship and lack of a proper setup, but in due time, I've since learned how to do setups on Epiphone and Gibson style guitars and have found out that once setup properly that most Epiphones are really great guitars, and this one is no exception. I've been playing for over 36 years, mostly Fenders and this is a welcome change. Seeing as I'm a huge AC/DC fan, I'm having a blast with this guitar and there's no way in hell that anyone will ever pry this from my fingers.

I'm sure that this guitar will last me a lifetime only because I do take care of my equipment and do preventive maintenance on a regular basis. I could use this on a gig without a backup, that much I'm very sure of. I always make it a point though, to have a extra guitar ready in case of a broken string or something else. Better to be safe than sorry, I always say.

I swapped a Epiphone Les Paul Studio yesterday for this because the weight of the LP, was hell on my back and this is a much welcomed relief. The prior owner did not have this setup properly which was probably why he wanted to do a trade. He complained to me that it wouldn't stay in tune at all. Once I did a intonation check and a setup on it, I found out that it stays in tune with no problems whatsoever! I'm pleased as punch with this guitar and I personally think it's better than the LP Stdio.

Mine is a 2007 Chinese made, model that comes with the Cherry Red finish and has a Mahoghany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard and Block Inlays. Electronics include 2 Alnico Classic covered humbuckers and a 3 way pup Switch, along with 2 sets of volume and tone controls. The bridge is a tune-o-matic with a stop tailpiece and the tuners are Grovers.

brutalcaster
    I got this guitar from another guitarist for I gave him my ol' epiphone special II(skull) and got this in change. I really like the fact that it is SG as a fan of sabbath, ac/dc etc. It's really good to play and the red finish is neat. I play crust/grind/thrash with it and its awesome. Now that I just played a gig with it, I can recommend this to everyone willing to look awesome and play like a whirlin' wind of death, as an ode to Satan. Fucking Metal! ps. the mics are very very awesome pps. as a negative thing, the neck gets a bit too movable as time goes on.