G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Epiphone: G-400

Price paid: A$ 550

I play alternative rock/metal styles mostly, and it suits both perfectly. With the right amount of gain you have a great metal sound, suits classic rock great, and it also gives a fair clean tone from the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup gives a much more universal tone, wheras the neck pickup is a bit darker and muddier. The guitar is actually not particularly muddy as most people claim, you just need the right amp settings. It has a very rich sound, and often quite thick, which I quite like.

As I said before, I play alternative rock/metal, and it works fine. It's better than my previous guitar, which was a Strat copy, in every way but the reliability. If it was stolen or lost I would probably stay away from Epiphones in general, I'd probably save for a Gibson Les Paul or maybe an Ibanez. It does look very nice, and it has an amazing rich tone, but it's so fragile. I did compare it to a Les Paul, and I preferred the tone and feel of the SG at the time. I'm not so sure now though. It does have a heavy neck in comparison to the lightweight body, but a leather strap does fix that, as it grips much better to your shoulder. Overall it's a fairly decent guitar given it doesn't break.

I've gone through my original and a replacement, and it's broken down on me 3 times overall in the same way - the connections inside have become desoldered, that is, the solder has come off. I've had it for only 4 months. Other than that, it's fine. I wouldn't gig with it at all, maybe with a backup, but I'm probably going to get something different anyway. The only flaw is the internal connections, but that's a pretty major flaw.

Haven't changed anything since I bought it, and it's still great. There's quite a bit of fretbuzz when unplugged, but amping it up fixes that. It goes out of tune sometimes as well. The action is quite comfortable for me, it came stocked with 9-42 strings I think, and I switched to 10-46 and it's still great. The neck joint looks a bit shabby, as in it looks a bit out of place, but that's compared to a Gibson, which is picture perfect. I haven't gotten it professionally set up for intonation, and it does need that, but I haven't had the time to do that.

SG style Mahogany body and neck set neck 22 nickel-silver frets rosewood fingerboard 24 3/4" scale tune-o-matic bridge w/ stopbar tailpiece dual Alcino V humbuckers w/ chrome covers independent vol/tone controls 3-way toggle Switch not sure when and where it was made.

soter79
    The cherry color and the shape of this guitar worth every single euro i paid for her. I'm fan of old rock Sabbath,Led Zeppelin,Deep purple,Rainbow. She has great sustain and if i change the magnets i will have a monadic axe.
    Rocker49er
    The first time I played this at my local music shop I knew I had to have it. The pickups are great. The tuners are awesome. The finish is so sweet. The feel of it is just amazing. I mean I could play this for hours. GET IT