G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Price paid: € 259

Purchased from: waltons, dublin

This guitar suits my style of playing perfectly, it goes from a bluesy sounding guitar, to a metal players dream guitar. I've played it through a tenson scream 15, Vox classic rock amplug, and a Blackstar ht-5 combo, and it sounded very impressive, even through a Boss ds-1 is sounds very impressive. The only downside I've found with this guitar is the pickups do not sound as bright as I would like.

This guitar suits all the styles I play, even though I haven't been playing properly for long I have not had any desire to get rid of it. If it was stolen I would probably look at getting one of the prophecy sg's as they come with better pickups, for about the same as it would cost to replace them with new ones. I have no regrets buying this guitar, and I am really satisfied with it, and I can see the potential of what making a few minor mods can do to it.

Bearing in mind it is a cheap guitar, I would say it would stand up to live playing and you could get away without having a backup, personally I wouldn't use it live but if you were strapped on cash it would do fine. The strap buttons are solid but the strap button nearest the neck is in a bad place behind the neck joint on the back of the guitar, so playing standing up can be abit tricky.

Out of the box it was perfect and it required no work to be done on it. The intonation was perfect, string height was also perfect I only got some fret buzz if I really plucked the string hard, and the pickup height was perfect as well. The body was well finished and all routing appeared to have been professionally done. The output jack became loose after a few weeks but that was easily fixed with a spanner.

Made in May 2007 in China. 22 jumbo fret mahogany neck, and solid one piece double cutaway mahogany body, with 2 passive Epiphone alnico v humbucking pickups, with 2 volume and 2 tone pots. Chrome Epihphone locking tune-o-matic bridge, with chrome Grover non locking tuners. Available in ebony and cherry satin finishes.

FearOfTheDuck
    Hmmm, i have this guitar. But i really don't like it, you can't play it standing up comfortably. And its not great for playing Metal. And is not that durable. If you're getting an epiphone, seriously consider a Les Paul. I only bought this guitar because i'm a huge AC/DC fan. I was stuck with it for a few years before i got my lovely Jackson. Don't waste your money