G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: guitarampkeyboard.com

Think AC/DC, Sabbath and any other hard hitting, gut twisting raw rock sound and that is pretty much what you get with this guitar. I run mine through a cord straight to my Marshall Valvestate 8080 for the perfect Rock sound, pedals just get in its way in my opinion. It growls, roars and even screams. Whack it into crunch and you have sort of caged the beast and you can hear it struggle against the gain barrier attempting to break it. Then theres clean, a dormant beast; docile, warm and child friendly, I use both pick ups together for this setting for the best range and clarity. The tone knobs could do with a little more range but as there are separate ones for the rhythm and treble ones, it gets a nice fat 9.

So what we have here is a monolith in the mid price range guitars. Solid sound, construction and looks add up to a true beast of a guitar. Play it at a volume and feel the power of the incomparable sustain that this guitar has naturally. In my opinion, playing it with pedals is like putting an elephant in stilettos, wrong. And the elephant is likely to get angry and destroy the stilettos. For the price, It really is worth getting as a step up from your first guitar. Its awesome.

Well i've had mine for bordering on a year now, played a few gigs with no back up and I haven't been punished as of yet, but its real test is now coming with the summer and the plenty of gigs that my band will be getting. Solid strap buttons make up for its neck heaviness. The pickup covers are slightly tarnished but this adds to the awesome look. The solid poly finish is very good if you like durability but personally I would of liked it to wear down a little more, I'm sure it will though over time. When I opened mine up, I could see that the electronics are there to stay and have been soldered with great skill and accuracy, no messy wires, just all neat and tidy. I have dented the headstock but thats understandable. So all in all, a very reliable work horse, it wont fail on you in most situations. I would like a back up just in case of extreme conditions (when I can afford one), but every normal gig, it will handle it fine.

The pickups were fine to play out of the box and are easy to adjust to your preferences. Theres a good smooth finish all over, and what looks, feels and sounds like good quality wood. Action could of been a little lower but thats just my preference. So far I haven't found any flaws, the pick up selector clicks, but that shows its doing its job properly.

Ok so here is the Epiphone G-400. A very close copy of the Gibson SGs with the earlier style (my preferred) half pickguard. I got mine in mid 2009 so I'm guessing it was made around that time. They come in right and left handed models, thank god, and in two finishes, Cherry and Ebony. Its a solid mahogany guitar with a solid set in neck. Grover Standard tuners at one end and a good quality tune-o-matic bridge with stop bar. 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard and a good flat neck perfect for my hand size. My Cherry poly finish is translucent, showing off the beautiful wood grain beneath, while the Ebony poly finish does not. Its well applied and smooth all over though. 2 Alnico V humbuckers each with their own tone and volume knob for awesome control and sound adjustment. Theres a 3 way selector Switch that gives a satisfying click when changed. Overall A 9 For good quality and value. Misses a 10 because of the slightly too flexible neck, nothing big though, it wont fail on you, trust me.

Edodee
    @fearoftheduck No man, you're just bashing. This G-400 is worth all the bucks. I have a few guitars and one of them is an '06 G-400 I bought new. It plays very comfortable, sounds great and it's very well made...at least mine is. The only downside is that it's neckheavy but that's common thing with all SG's. This G-400 is the best SG '61/ '62 copy on the market.
    Edodee
    @fearoftheduck No man, you're just bashing. This G-400 is worth all the bucks. I have a few guitars and one of them is an '06 G-400 I bought new. It plays very comfortable, sounds great and it's very well made...at least mine is. The only downside is that it's neckheavy but that's common thing with all SG's. If you don't want that than you're better of getting something else. But at the end of the day, this G-400 is the best SG '61/ '62 copy on the market.
    nicksword87
    I got this a few years back (2007) and it is good. It is my main jamming guitar. But I dunno if it is the gear buying bug or what but it is starting to sound quite dull and I have a real need for some better equipment all round. It has a huge earth hum. But a great guitar for a 1st or second buy. Get it if you are starting out or if you need to upgrade slightly from a starter pack guitar.